Bee's in a split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Over the weekend I was splitting up the rounds that I had accumulated over the past few weeks. In one round I found about 8 yellow jackets inside of a split. The were alive, moving very slowly thankfully! I had never come across bee's in a round before....first for everything I guess

glad you found it before they came back to life in the house.

pen

Hi -

I have found them in the house alive after riding in on splits. I leave a couple 5 gallon pails full of splits for the women folk to feed the stove during the day and again at night if it's really cold. Fortunately my Lab mix treats them like 'Birds' - he persues them relentlessly. He's aware that they sting so "The Process" can be quite comical if allowed to continue. He's now pretty sensitive about any flying ctitters inside or out.

We have had to treat him with Benadryl when he gets stung. Not sure it it's yellow jackets or spiders causing the swelling on occasion.

Whoa. I hate those things. They can be really nasty and one more reason I don't like cutting wood during the warm months.

Man, I hate yellowjackets. They seemed to be everywhere I was cutting last year.

Side note: if anyone in SE CT comes across honey bees while cutting that you want to relocate give me a shout. Or, if you are interested in starting a hive I can give you a hand. I might even have some spare woodenware you.

I scrounge for bees they way a lot of us scrounge for wood.

^^^Thumbs up to a fellow beekeeper!^^^

And just to clarify... yellow jackets are not bees! Honey bees are actually quite friendly as long as you aren't chopping apart their house. And... if you had cut into a tree full of honey bees, there definitely wouldn't be just a few!

I've unfortunately found a hive of yellow jackets in a tree.
Dead sideways over a creek.
We used it for years as a bridge.
One year my foot went through.

By the time I got home I was naked ripping my clothes off and had been stung about 50 times.
Luckily no allergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.