BEE'S INSIDE TH WOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Ok so i was restacking my fallen over wood pile. I got last year some Honey Locust it had some holes in it when was bucked. It was 57 today and as I was stacking my daughter noticed bees going inside the wood. Has anyone seen this before?? I assume they are laying eggs?

Reactions: NextEndeavor
what kind of bees? wasps or carpenter bees? Are you sure she isn't seeing the borers that lay eggs in honey locust? They resemble bees.....

locust borer 2.jpglocust borer.jpgthumbnail.jpg

I haven't seen the insects living there yet, but have sure been wondering what makes the tunnels and caverns throughout some of the b.locust. Well, sometimes big black ants have taken up residence in the locust subway channels. No bees though.

I cut down four huge honey locusts last year on a local farm (have four more to do this summer), those borers were EVERYWHERE on my stack of locust. On a calm night in the summer you can go out and hear their larvae chomping away in that wood. It's unreal. They are harmless to other species, but they do a number on the locust.

My 11 year old said they were bees, I have only seen there eye's . If there is 40 holes in the logs 30 have guest's.

Would you split a piece and take a pic for us?

Reactions: ScotO
If they are bees, I'd leave them alone.

I had a bunch of wood stacked in my chicken coop at one point. A very large bee colony setup shop within the stacks. When I got to tearing it apart (cold weather) there was a huge labyrinth of the paper type nest in the stack. If that is what you are dealing with - watch out. Them suckers were mean during the heat of the summer, but thankfully they were gone when I got the wood out. It also made quite a mess of the firewood.

Edit: I think these were the "bald faced bees". (actually I guess they are classified as a hornet).

I had a bunch of wood stacked in my chicken coop at one point. A very large bee colony setup shop within the stacks. When I got to tearing it apart (cold weather) there was a huge labyrinth of the paper type nest in the stack. If that is what you are dealing with - watch out. Them suckers were mean during the heat of the summer, but thankfully they were gone when I got the wood out. It also made quite a mess of the firewood.

Edit: I think these were the "bald faced bees". (actually I guess they are classified as a hornet).
Those hornets aren't mean, Jags. They are flat out SINISTER......they attack you like an army when you pi$$ them off!

I don't think their Hornets my daughter was wacking the wood pile with a stick trying to get them to come out !!!

"Edit: I think these were the "bald faced bees". (actually I guess they are classified as a hornet)."

Jags, I think the Bald face hornet is actually a wasp. I read that some where but I don't know what the difference in a wasp and a hornet is.

Reactions: TreePointer
but I don't know what the difference in a wasp and a hornet is.

Me neither, but I will tell you that them suckers would CHASE ya.

Wasps sting you once, if I'm not mistaken. Hornets sting you over and over and over.......OUCH!

"Edit: I think these were the "bald faced bees". (actually I guess they are classified as a hornet)."

Jags, I think the Bald face hornet is actually a wasp. I read that some where but I don't know what the difference in a wasp and a hornet is.

My understanding is that hornets and yellow jackets are all types of wasps.

Ok I have tried to get pictures of the little buggers and cant, The best I can describe them is tey look like a honey bee in size and shape but are all black , they are not aggerssive but its only 55 outside. They also cover the hole they have made with wood pulp.

Does that hole look like they stuffed it with mud? That is my suspicion.

Thats really interesting! Find out something new every day! Thanks for sharing Melissa!

Status
Not open for further replies.