Before I begin closing up my chase, is this install looking correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
FINALLY got back to working on my chimney. Please see pics below. According to Metal Fab I need a 2 inch clearance from the pipe in the wall. I have 3" on the side, 5 on the top and 13 below so I think I'm ok. I have 3 feet out the top of the chase so from the top of the stove to the chimney cap is 15' almost to the inch.

I have locked each section to the next and used a 1" sheet metal screw to lock them in place. If I need to caulk or use that metal tape on each link in my chase I can do that as well. Once the rain stops I will be using high temp caulk to seal up the storm collar for good.

One thing I don't know if I should be concerned about or not. All the way up my chase I have 3" of clearance from the insulation (fiberglass with paper face) on one side of the pipe. The rest of the pipe has about 2 feet to the sides and back of the chase. While I know only 2" is required, is 3" going to be ok or should I do anything just to be extra safe?

Does anyone have any feedback on these pics or see any glaring errors? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• front view 1 (Medium).JPG
    front view 1 (Medium).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 341
  • front view 2 (Medium).JPG
    front view 2 (Medium).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 352
  • side view 1 (Medium).JPG
    side view 1 (Medium).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 355
Just wondering what you are doing where that pipe passed through the wall...? Should have a wall thimble there.

jtp10181 said:
Just wondering what you are doing where that pipe passed through the wall...? Should have a wall thimble there.

Yeah I posted that question awhile back and got some mixed replies, but the majority of the guys on here suggested wall thimble. Well I was getting a lot of conflicting information (here local dealers and chimney sweeps etc) so I called metal fab. I didn't get the name of the guy I spoke with but he said he was a tech and the wall thimble is the ideal method but both of these methods (wall thimble and the pas thru I used) safely accomplish the same thing. So I went ahead with the items I had. I have a black sleeve and wall plate that are black that will cover it to the elbow that will be there.

Personally, I'd take the paper off the insulation even if it is 3" away.

Ok so you have the wall boxed out and its going to that stay that way, then you have a black trim ring to go around the pipe and cover the hole. That us just as good as a wall thimble as long as Metal-Fab doesn't require the thimble. Some pipes the only way they meet the UL listing passing through a wall is with the thimble (to deflect heat) and then it is required.

I would not worry about the insulation. Make sure it is secured well and has no chance of sagging or falling. Might not be a bad idea to run some metal or plastic banding over it screwed to the studs to make sure it stays in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.