Before the Heavy Rains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I did get the oil changed in the MTD 20 ton, I put 5W-30 full synthetic in. This Pine broke off in the May 23 storm so I limbed it up then bucked up some of it before the rain hit, I'll finish this tomorrow (weasther permitting) then just to the south of this is a downed maple branch blocking my wife's walking trail, that also will be done tomorrow depending on Mother Nature.

At some point I'll haul the chipper over to all the pine branches I limbed up, they'll become chips for the trail heading up top that's inside the bowl.

Happy 4th

Attachments

• 100_7564.JPG
    100_7564.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_7565.JPG
    100_7565.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 100
They were calling for rain off and on all day, so far it's been GORGEOUS all day! Very hot in the sun, and the humidity isn't as bad today either!

I'm glad we had a break in the rain today, found a leak in the living room roof, I was NOT a happy camper. I changed out a couple shingles where I found a nail pushed up through and a torn shingle (most likely from the storms we had a couple weeks ago, pretty sure that was the culprit), now I have to wait for more rain to confirm I fixed the damm leak....

I don't think it is going to rain much anymore this summer as I tarped the stacks of wood that I processed this spring today. :) It certainly turned out to be a nice day here. A pleasant breeze drying things up.

Reactions: ScotO
The weather could take a complete turn-a-round on us and get really dry. Still, those July and August thunderstorms can drop a lot of rain in a short time. We'll just have to wait and see.

S.O., except for that hard rain it's been a nice day here too, I did get back out so I could finish the pine. Tomorrow I'll be working on some Maple.

P.B., this is just my opinion but I think it will be a wet summer overall.

Sav, up here August can get real dry, I've seen the brook where it dumps into the river at a trickle.

Reactions: Plow Boy and ScotO
We're stuck in a cloudy period with rain showers now & then.
Not enough rain for the garden, just enough to settle the dust & to keep it around 60° (Seattle type weather)

We had a complete wash out today. Dark and cloudy and hasn't stopped raining since about 10 this morning. I'm hoping I get a break this weekend to get the rest of my limbs cut up.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
We had a complete wash out today. Dark and cloudy and hasn't stopped raining since about 10 this morning. I'm hoping I get a break this weekend to get the rest of my limbs cut up.
Get it when you can.

Reactions: Trilifter7
I cannot remember the last time it rained this much here. We got 7 inches of rain last Friday and it has rained everyday since then on and off; today we got at least 5 inches. I hope we don't get any bad winds anytime soon or we will have trees falling everywhere.

We're stuck in a cloudy period with rain showers now & then.
Not enough rain for the garden, just enough to settle the dust & to keep it around 60° (Seattle type weather)
A guy was in the shop telling me he put in a garden this year, last I saw him he was digging trenches so the water would run out, that was two weeks ago so I'll give him a call so I can get an update.

I cannot remember the last time it rained this much here. We got 7 inches of rain last Friday and it has rained everyday since then on and off; today we got at least 5 inches. I hope we don't get any bad winds anytime soon or we will have trees falling everywhere.
Are you near Chapel Hill?

Just saw the foreast for the next seven days, possible thunder with rain each day.

They've taken most of the rain out of our forecast. Looks like we'll be drying out here and it is supposed to warm up too. It is warmer today; any warmer and it is hot. I like those days with a high of 80 and low humidity.

Rain Rain go away please come back another day. (or month)

Reactions: Trilifter7
Rain Rain go away please come back another day. (or month)
"Another Day" It looks like the storms for our area will start flaring up Friday & Saturday with a nice cool down. Damaging wind gust are the biggest threat, the last set of storms stayed north of us by 37 miles.

T-storm for us also Saturday. I have had very little in the way of storm related firewood so far but August/Sept. usually makes up for that.
I saw on GMA where they said EVERY lower 48 state will have temps in the 90's today!! Humidity hasn't been too bad though, a week ago I had to struggle to completely close our wood front door!

Status
Not open for further replies.