Before the rain comes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Time to get some more wood in under the porch.

First, some shots of the wood. Then some shots of the covered porch. Third, some shots after the wood is gone. Moved about 2 cord today. Longer distances with the wheelbarrow. <> I thought about starting the Kubota up but it was so quiet out here in the country I figured why make the noise. The exercise is good for ya anyway. As you can see in the pic of the porch opening, the wood goes in and out right next to the cellar window where the boiler room is. Convenient. There is the Wood Gun and it is actually running right now to heat the hot water for the showers. The last pic is to show how full it is getting under the porch now. The porch is 10' out from the house, and a total of 38 feet around the corner of the house. I will finish in the morning and then it is time to get to work on next years wood. I will still have about 4 cord of Ash stacked outside after the porch is full with about 8 cord under it. If I can fit that much. Calculations of measurements for actual cord under there show I could fit almost 9 cord, but I leave space between each row so it is all rough figures. Kind of how my back muscles feel right now. Rough. ;hm

Attachments

• DSCF2411.JPG
    DSCF2411.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF2412.JPG
    DSCF2412.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF2413.JPG
    DSCF2413.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF2414.JPG
    DSCF2414.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF2415.JPG
    DSCF2415.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF2416.JPG
    DSCF2416.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF2417.JPG
    DSCF2417.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF2421.JPG
    DSCF2421.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF2422.JPG
    DSCF2422.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF2418.JPG
    DSCF2418.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 206
All that nice wood next to that nasty oil tank!;lol

Reactions: Gasifier
Ooops. I couldn't get them all in on one post. I guess that is a sign I am posting to many pics. ;lol

Attachments

• DSCF2419.JPG
    DSCF2419.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF2420.JPG
    DSCF2420.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF2421.JPG
    DSCF2421.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF2422.JPG
    DSCF2422.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
All that nice wood next to that nasty oil tank!;lol

;lol Good one Jack Straw! I would like to do away with it all together so I would have more room for wood. But when we go away we need to keep the house from freezing.

How often do you have to fill the oil tank? I am going into my 3rd on my current tank thanks to last year's warm winter!

Nice work brother. Man you got alot of wood. How much total? Is the porch floor completely water proofed?
I think I would have made a little noise for a while in the country so that I would avoid the noise of my muscles in my body.

Hey you could fit more wood if you get rid of that big nasty oil tank:cool:

Reactions: ScotO and Gasifier
nice storage setup, I just finished mine today as well. 3 cords onto the covered porch :)

How often do you have to fill the oil tank? I am going into my 3rd on my current tank thanks to last year's warm winter!

I don't fill the oil tank anymore Jack Straw. ::-) I have burned about 40 gallons, roughly since October 1st, 2011. YES! I am at 1/2 tank right now and that wll be there for a really long time the way things are going. Which is very well. That Wood Gun you see through the cellar window is a gassification boiler and heats my house, garage to 45 all winter, and my Domestic Hot Water (DHW). I am a 24/7 burner. I even burn through spring, summer, and fall. Usually one or two short fires through the late spring, summer, and early fall. Still doing two short burns right now. It has been so mild here lately. I brought the Wood Gun on line along with a 400 gallon buffer tank on October 1, 2011. After heating with a wood stove for about 7 years. It took a little while to get use to and a few bugs to work out, but the dudes over in the boiler room are the best!:cool:

O poop you beat me to it lol. looks nice gasifier. I am in the middle of moving mine to the covered shed and outside porch.

Pete

Nice work brother. Man you got alot of wood. How much total? Is the porch floor completely water proofed?
I think I would have made a little noise for a while in the country so that I would avoid the noise of my muscles in my body.

Hey you could fit more wood if you get rid of that big nasty oil tank:cool:

I think I have about 12-13 cord right now. When I am done filling under the porch I should have about 8 under cover and about 4 outside in the elements. The other reason I did not use the Kubota is the ground would take a beating with all the trips and I have a little family gathering this weekend. Dinner and a bonfire after for about 35-40 people. Need as much grass as possible and as little mud as possible. Now it looks like it may rain Saturday. We may all be inside and on the covered porch. Thankfully we have a big house.

You are prepped for winter.
Good feeling eh?
Most of us know the aches & pains of processing/storing wood. But all good aches & pains :)

Very nice set up. Good back up . & you have fun !

The beauty of moving all the wood to the wood shed (covered porch if you like ;) )
You have room to get more wood CSS'd & seasoning ::P

nice storage setup, I just finished mine today as well. 3 cords onto the covered porch :)

Thanks mohmh. Glad to hear you got yours under cover as well. I had this porch built like a brick sh!t house. You could literally drive a truck on it. It has 2x8 floor joist on hangers with 2x6 decking all hung off of the house and the 6x6 post you see in the pics sitting on 6 inch concrete peirs made in tubes that go 4 feet down. I wanted it to last a while. :) Cost me a little more but, ehhh, what the hell. You only live once, and I had a good carpenter.

You are prepped for winter.
Good feeling eh?
Most of us know the aches & pains of processing/storing wood. But all good aches & pains :)

Very nice set up. Good back up . & you have fun !

The beauty of moving all the wood to the wood shed (covered porch if you like ;) )
You have room to get more wood CSS'd & seasoning ::P

Thanks Dave. I will begin the process of CSS&S tomorrow. A little at a time over the next two months. I will do some of it and I am going to buy some of it. I don't like to buy it, but... Oh, wait a minute. Yes. Yes I do. ;lol I just don't like to spend the money.

Thanks mohmh. Glad to hear you got yours under cover as well. I had this porch built like a brick sh!t house. You could literally drive a truck on it. It has 2x8 floor joist on hangers with 2x6 decking all hung off of the house and the 6x6 post you see in the pics sitting on 6 inch concrete peirs made in tubes that go 4 feet down. I wanted it to last a while. :) Cost me a little more but, ehhh, what the hell. You only live once, and I had a good carpenter.

The construction sounds safe and solid, you did it right the first time and you know every time you go out there there's no question

Niiiiice...never too many pics....

Very nice. Don't burn all that this season!!
How does the 2 wheel wheel barrow compare to a one wheel?

Very nice. Don't burn all that this season!!
How does the 2 wheel wheel barrow compare to a one wheel?
The two wheels are nice. I picked up one from a CL ad for $15 and it works great and takes a bigger load.

Dam straight. The two wheel ones are great. Much bigger load and are much more stead when moving. I have had mine for many years now, probably 8, and have done a lot of work with it. Soil, gravel, sand, and most importantly, wood! ::-)

beautiful home in the country and a great wood-heat setup.

which town? i had a farm in redwood for years. i miss that country.

I have to of those ss stacks man I know that cost a pretty dime!

Gasifier, that is a great setup you have and you've done a lot of hard work. My hat is off to you lad.

beautiful home in the country and a great wood-heat setup.

which town? i had a farm in redwood for years. i miss that country.

No way onetracker? It is a small world. I am out in the sticks in the town of Lisbon not far from where you were. ;lol Thanks for the incouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.