Being nice, and showing up on time, pays off with the tree service guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Today I got the call that the tree service guy was taking down 4 large Ash trees.

He told me he had someone else ready to take the Box Elder trees :)

All this because I was willing to take the pine/spruce that he called me with the first time around.

3/4 of a cord of Ash is now piled on my yard ready to cut.

I had to concede the larger pieces of Ash to someone else who beat me there but by being gracious I was informed that on the tree service guy's yard there are ash and oak that have been cut for over a year that he wants me to come and pick up as he is moving this summer.

It is a good day indeed.

Will post some pics as I get them taken.

Lowroad, that is super! Sometimes when you are nice to people surprising things can happen. You just had a wonderful thing happen to you. Cheers!

Nice score, just proves sometimes it pays to take the lowroad! :)

zap

I went back by the work site this evening and picked up another half cord of ash that I thought would have been taken by the first guys.

If I want the box elder it will still be around tomorrow likely as well. It is solid, straight and smaller diameter which is not the norm around here. Usually it is twisted, large and rotting in the centre.

The other thing I am now intrigued about is that in talking with the tree service hired hand he informed me that they have been unloading wood for a couple of years into a gravel pit with the intention of lighting the pile someday.

I am thinking that this might be a mess of branches and brush but he claims that almost everything that they cut last year ended up in that pit because they had no one reliable to take the wood that was potential firewood. I will either have found the mother lode or I will be frustrated beyond words when I see solid firewood under tons of loose branches. I hope to get out for a look see early next week. This site is a whopping 15 minutes from my yard.

Probably isn't a big deal if the pit doesn't work out. Sounds like he generates a lot more than you will ever consume anyway. My guy smiles every time I reliably show up because he knows a cord plus is going away that he doesn't have to deal with.

lowroadacres said:
I went back by the work site this evening and picked up another half cord of ash that I thought would have been taken by the first guys.

If I want the box elder it will still be around tomorrow likely as well. It is solid, straight and smaller diameter which is not the norm around here. Usually it is twisted, large and rotting in the centre.

The other thing I am now intrigued about is that in talking with the tree service hired hand he informed me that they have been unloading wood for a couple of years into a gravel pit with the intention of lighting the pile someday.

I am thinking that this might be a mess of branches and brush but he claims that almost everything that they cut last year ended up in that pit because they had no one reliable to take the wood that was potential firewood. I will either have found the mother lode or I will be frustrated beyond words when I see solid firewood under tons of loose branches. I hope to get out for a look see early next week. This site is a whopping 15 minutes from my yard.

Be careful digging around in there never know "WHO" has made it "home"......
ps ever think about a firewood business??? lol sounds like all you wood have to do is split and sell as you already have a "hookup"

Gives new meaning to "Speak softly and carry a big stick" lol

Who says nice guys finish last?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.