Bell & Gossett Ecocirc vs Grundfos Alpha

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afblue

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Has anyone worked with or read reviews on the use of the Bell & Gossett Ecocircs and how it compares to the Grundfos Alpha? There is an obvious price difference between them, B&G $179 Grundfos $219. B&G has 2 models an AUTO and a VARIO, where I think the Alpha is both in one. The Alpha also talks about having a standby mode that it will go into when all zones are closed, and only consume 3watts.

What are your thoughts, I was sold on the Alpha 2 months ago when I was researching, but now that I come across the B&G for $40 less, I am wondering if the initial cost savings is going to follow through?

The B&G is a circ developed by Laing. I believe ITT (B&G) has partenered with or purchased Laing. Laing has a good reputation with their small DHW recirc, Solar Strong DC and also spa circs. Grundfos has had a bit more development time with the Alpha in the US and they are on version 2. I have several of the original prototypes running on my system and several of the newest version. I have not had a problem with either and they do perform better that expected regarding actual energy consumption for BTU moved.

I used a Grundfos Alpha on my drainback solar for a year so it was run under some severe temperature conditions. High temperature operation does tend to show any faults in the onboard electronics. The earlier versions of the Laing DC solar pumps had some reliability issues from my experience.

Notice also that Honeywell has a line of small circs hitting the market. Another German labeled circ, I believe. Clever part numbers :) That should make pricing even more competitive perhaps.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-10 at 10.21.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-10 at 10.21.02 PM.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 401
Status
Not open for further replies.