Bellows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jldunn

Oct 24, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Anyone out there use bellows to get a fire going from coals? My normal morning routine is to gather all my coals into a pile, kneel down and blow on them for a minute until they go from black to red and licked with blue flame. Then I load up, give a couple more huffs onto the coals, and I've got a nice big flame.

I was thinking eventually I might like to save my knees and lungs and just get a set of bellows, but thought I'd check and see if others might tell me to scratch it and let the coals warm themselves up. Do I need more of a 'set it and forget it' approach? Or is stoking up some black coals with a few puffs normal?

I just rake the coals into a pile, and crack the door open.

Takes about Five minutes and I get the same results.
Put more wood in, close door, set damper, go to work.

No Huffin' n' puffin'

I have this little blower that is part of my tool set. basicly its just a hollow rod with a handle, and a mouthpiece. It works wonders for getting coals back to life.

why bother a couple blast witha map torch and your good to go

I use a bellow for the coals when I have a small pile of coals. Bought it at Lowe's for $10.

elkimmeg said:

Dare I say there is another potential use for my "Big Green Egg" lighter? LOL.

elkimmeg said:

Pfffft, throw some gas on it

I used a bellows when I had an open fireplace and it was very handy. However, as previously stated, raking the coals to the front and cracking the door draws so much air over the coals that they are cherry red and flaming within minutes, no need to blow on them.

I think I'll have to find one of those rods that MSG is talking about. Cracking the door would work, but my stove isn't level so if I don't have the door latched it swings open. I could level the stove, but it took two big guys putting their shoulders into it to slide it back in there and I don't want to mess with it.

Jeremy said:
I think I'll have to find one of those rods that MSG is talking about. Cracking the door would work, but my stove isn't level so if I don't have the door latched it swings open. I could level the stove, but it took two big guys putting their shoulders into it to slide it back in there and I don't want to mess with it.

You should level it! Having it tilted is probably putting extra strain on the stove that isnt good for it. Stoves are intended to be run level and solidly supported.

Check, you may have level adjusters on the legs, if not get some short peices of metal to use as shims. (I usually use wood shingles, but those don't work in this application...) Lever up one corner at a time and shim under it to get things level. Best approach is to figure out the highest and lowest corners. Put shims under the lowest side or end, then add to the remaining leg to even everything out - remember you shouldn't need shims under more than three legs.

That said, you probably don't need to get a bellows, instead figure out where the primary air for your stove hits the grate first, and put the coal pile there. Or if you have a stove with an ash drawer, crack the door slightly so that the air blows up through the coal bed. The idea is to get the natural airflow of the stove to pass over or through the coals - let mother nature do the blowing for you :coolsmile:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.