Below-grade outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Is there a nice way to install one? Does anyone have one below grade? How did you do it? Thanks.

I would use 3" PVC pipe outside and take it up the wall, above grade a couple feet at least. Terminate it with a 90 + 45 elbow. Switch to metal on the indoor side.

To be clear, you are in a basement of some sort and want to poke through the concrete wall and into the dirt and then go up in a periscope fashion for air? What a pain in the rear. You would have to dig down on the outside and make for dang certain sure that you don't create a water leak into your home.

I have a long outside air run for my basement install and went up and out the sill plate just above the top concrete block. Also put a 90 elbow outside to keep the outside air from rushing down into the stove, that cold air doesn't need any help flowing down hill.

Highbeam said:
To be clear, you are in a basement of some sort and want to poke through the concrete wall and into the dirt and then go up in a periscope fashion for air? What a pain in the rear. You would have to dig down on the outside and make for dang certain sure that you don't create a water leak into your home.

Heavens no. That would be a pain. I would go up indoors above the sill and out.

hemlock said:
Highbeam said:

Heavens no. That would be a pain. I would go up indoors above the sill and out - similar to what Todd posted.

The question was confusing. It sounds like there is no intention of installing one below grade. You may still want to periscope it a bit outdoors to raise the intake above snow level.

Status
Not open for further replies.