BelVent Factory Built Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherman

Nov 3, 2007
NJ
I currently have a "BELVENT" Class "A" factory built chimney that I would like to know about. Can anyone answer some basic questions about these or other factory built chimneys?

This chimney has a white mineral powder between the 2 tube layers that make up the chimney. My one question is, when the wood stove is on, how hot do these chimney pipes get? Should I be able to touch them? Currently they have the 2 " clearance, and are in the chase with an air space of more than 12" running from the basement, through the closet chase and then through the roof.

Should I be able to touch this chimney while the stove is in operation? I used an infrared thermomerter and it readsa about 165 deg F when I check the temp. Is this a normal temp for the stack pipe?

Any help would be appreciated. Also any help about BELVENT would be appreciated too.....

THANKS

Here is a picture of the label from my Chimney. I am looking to hook this up to a Quadrafire 4300 wood stove.

Currently I have a wood burning circulator made by the Atlanta Stove Works using this chimney. It came with the house I just bought. It is a double wall chimney with the mineral powder fiber in between the two layers.

Please download and read this picture of the label. Also does anyone know anything about this pipe? Is 1000 deg F safe to use with a wood burning stove like the Quadra Fire 4300?

What is the normal rating of double wall chimneys sold on todays market?

Thank you to anyone who can help. PLEASE OPEN THE ATTACHED FILE TO READ THE LABEL

Fisherman

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 346
FROM THE NFPA 211 STANDARDS PLEASE LOOK AT MY LABEL THAT I HAVE SCANNED FROM MY CHIMNEY AND MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT.....

3.2.17.3 Chimney, Factory-Built, Residential Type and Building Heating
Appliance Type. A chimney suitable for use at 1000°F (538°C), which
complies with the 10-minute 1700°F temperature test of UL103, Standard
for Safe Chimneys, Factory-Built, Residential Type and Building Heating
Appliance and is composed of listed, factory-built components that might
be fully enclosed in combustible, residential type construction, and that is
assembled in accordance with the terms of the listing to form a completed
chimney.

3.2.17.4* Chimney, Factory-Built, Residential Type and/or Building
Heating Appliance Type—Type HT. A residential type and building heating
appliance chimney suitable for use at 1000°F (538°C), which complies with
the optional 10-minute 2100°F temperature test of UL103, Standard for Safe
Chimneys, Factory-Built, Residential Type and Building Heating Appliance.
Such chimneys are labeled as Type HT and are required for certain solid
fuel- fired applications (see Section 3-1.2)

MY ADDITIONAL COMMENT: BASED ON THE NFPA STRANDARDS HERE IS WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT THE 1000 DEG F that is on my label for the Belvent. Notice for the TYPE "HT" it says it is optional. Does anyone know if 1000 deg F double wall pipe will work for me with the QuadraFire 4300 wood stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.