Benefits of a sharp axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
I have been hand splitting what I have had in the yard, and I picked up the axe the other day to take a look at it and give it a quick file. I am pretty sure one of the neighborhood deer went on a rampage and bashed this thing into rocks! I didn't take any pictures, but I ended up using the extra course stone, and bringing the edge way back. It was probably close to 1/8" before I got all the knicks and dings out of it. Eventually I got a fresh edge on it, and first swing I went though the "stubborn" logs that I was fighting with.....

I am definitely blaming it on the neighborhood deer, and not my technique or aim :)

Do you mean maul or axe? While that sharp edge helps, I hope you're splitting wood with a maul or splitting axe. That will dramatically improve what you can split.

yes, it is a splitting axe.... the maul did not seem to be much better! The chopping axe is always sharp, as it doesn't get any use since I bought the chainsaw!

Status
Not open for further replies.