Bent Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
I'm looking for some thoughts on something I observed yesterday. Bear with me as I can't currently get pictures of this up.

Our current stove is on it's second season of use and has straight exposed, double wall pipe that extends up from the back of the stove into the ceiling, 10 feet above. Yesterday I noticed a slight, say several millimeter deviation between the top section of pipe and the one below it. It creates a slight bowing appearance and the space on the left side of the pipe joint is definitely larger than the space on the right. It is so minor that likely no one else would ever notice it but I am very observant of indoor heating appliances. There is no smoke leakage and nothing out of the ordinary in terms of performance. It was definitely not like this up until recently.

Is this normal for slight deviations in stove pipes to occur in the first few years from expansion and contraction? All my other stoves had been installed for so long that I had no baseline for the slight movements over time.

Thanks

Here are the pictures of the joint in question. It is the first one from the top. Let me know if I'm just being silly and should not worry.

Attachments

• Pipe1.jpg
    Pipe1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Pipe2.jpg
    Pipe2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 198
I personally wouldn't be concerned. I think it is recommended that pipe connections should have three screws at each joint. Assuming you have such a connection I don't see how you can have a problem. If you only have the one screw that is showing in the photo then you might want to consider adding another two.

I personally wouldn't be concerned. I think it is recommended that pipe connections should have three screws at each joint. Assuming you have such a connection I don't see how you can have a problem. If you only have the one screw that is showing in the photo then you might want to consider adding another two.
Thanks for the response. Each joint does have three screws so it sounds like all is well. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.