Berlin NH Pellet Boiler Program

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I have mixed feeling about this one.

http://www.berlindailysun.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45112:berlin-program-promoting-wood-pellet-boilers-a-national-model&catid=103:local-news&Itemid=442

Sounds like a great program but it needs to be tempered with some reality.

The program was targeted to one neighborhood. The value of many of the houses is about what one of the installations would cost. That is one of the reasons why they still have openings despite a years worh of intensive publicity.

The actual cost for the boiler was heavilly subsidized along with the major rebate and low/no cost financing on the boiler installation. The homeowners also got heavilly subsidized energy retrofits of their homes.

Maine Energy Systems which has been less than successful in getting any significant sales volume was the major benefactor of the sales of equipment and is the only bulk distributor in the area. It also happens to be part owned by Les Otten a politically connected individual. They have been through at least one brand of pellet boiler that didnt live up to its promises so they really needed a batch of guinea pigs to work out the bugs with their newer designs

The programs had all sorts of money in it for management and program activities, meaning staff members got paid to show up at any local event and even sponsor events to drive up interest in the program.

Sure it helped out a few folks but I expect if the program was broader and the subsidies spread out with less program costs a whole lot more folks could have been helped.

Not a fan at that cost ( unsubsidized ) I suspect most the houses could have put in some form of geothermal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.