Besides the rust bucket here are two other VC wood stoves for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

VERMONT CASTINGS VIGILANT WOOD STOVE
http://cgi.ebay.com/VERMONT-CASTING...031329735QQcategoryZ20598QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
current bid $50
Wilmington, Massachusetts

http://hartford.craigslist.org/hsh/116985372.html

Vermont Castings Vigilant model wood/coal burning stove. Excellent condition. Has both tempered glass and optional solid steel front doors. 50,000 BTU's output with auto temperature control. Handles up to 18" wood logs or coal and can be loaded through top or front. Flue outlet back or top. 860-651-5916
this is in or around West Simsbury, CT
asking $550

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-01-20, 5:05PM EST

This is kind of on subject. I replaced a good Resolute Aclaim with a pellet stove this year. We sold the Resolute Acclaim to a guy. He came to the store and looked at it and we made a deal that I would come and install the stove and in return for the delivery and installation I would take his old "antique" stove. Really I believe it's just a 70's Franklin but it looks neat and has some pretty chrome so I'm going to paint it with stove bright and top coat it with an automotive clear and use it as a sign out front. Any how in our negotiations he assured me that the current stove had only been burned "a couple of times" and wouldn't need cleaning. When our crew arrived with the stove the chimney was filthy we're talking 8" class A with a 4" opening. It took well over an hour to clean if I remember right we had a total of three hours in this job. I billed him for a normal clean, my crew had no choice but to clean it. Even if they had super chimney fairies to contain the soot the dang stove wouldn't have drafted properly and surely that would have been my fault. Long story short this guy gets the bill and calls telling me how unfair it was that I charged him to clean his chimney. I thought it was unfair that he made a deal with me without divulging all information. He assured me that I will never get his business again. Upsets me to lose business but I don't think I treated him unfairly.

There are some situations we never win. Here is mine I was doing an inspection for a gas stove in the cellar is this Hunter green VC Encore 1998 burned to seasons and not 24/7 In pretty good shape. I enquire about she would like to sell it. 3 years ago I bought my
Resolute Acclaim dis continued royal blue left over floor model about $1000 but never burned. I listened and was told to stay away from Cat stoves they are problematic draft sensitive and costly to repair. Enter my Intrepid II cat stove, given to me, which I rebuilt Total cost $100 including the WoodstoveCombustor.com $59. As for burn times with the combuster it is even or better than the Resolute Acclaim. For a family room stove, this is perfect room heater.

I realized the Cat fear was unfounded in my situation. I have the draft that supports the cat, a strong draft separate 8/8 interior masonry flue. Because of the existing masonry outlet location, I have to find a rear venting stove no more than 28.25" top of the vent pipe. The Encore will work with the 6" flue adapter. I will extend by burn time be able to use 20" logs and it is rated 7000 more BTU which I also could use..

Initially I pass on the stove you know 8" collar cat But now I know it works In the mean time a friend of mine is thinking about adding a wood stove So I suggest this one I could have gotten it for $350. About a month goes by and I there doing another inspection, the stove is still sitting there. The lady now wants $500 But another guy is interested she will have to get back to me.
I figure my friend is still going a head So I ask him if he is going to follow threw. I find out the stove is not for him but one of his friends I never met. I have to wait to see if t he defaults? I talked to the lady and offered cash she put me off.

There are times when it does not pay to be a nice guy and when you are, you can get stepped on. I have helped so many people
half charged or never charged to do work because I knew thy were more needy than I. Even today plowing this elderly lady I have plow for years $10 for her driveway, Not only do I plow her out, I bring in the paper and the mail. And check in on her frequently during the week 94 years young. Lost her husband 4 years back. Myself and the next door neighbor check in every day She has no close relatives. We own it to give back what others have given us is my philosophy. I got another one half mile down the street she and her husband will be out there shoveling when I go by I drop the plow down and knock off their driveway ends. She Bakes me a blueberry pie every year. We have to help the less fortunate.

That Encore is a great stove. I'm sure you'll come by another. I had one last year replaced with an enamel model actually sold it for around 500.00. A guy that used to work for us came by one too. Real similar to your description used 1 season then put in the garage. Got it for 350 if I remember right. I think there is going to be great things coming from VC again. They seem to of refocused. The expansion of the line into the non-cat category is great especially the non-cat Encore. Fan can be added to it. That's a good thing you do for those people, very generous.

Shane said:
This is kind of on subject. I replaced a good Resolute Aclaim with a pellet stove this year. We sold the Resolute Acclaim to a guy. He came to the store and looked at it and we made a deal that I would come and install the stove and in return for the delivery and installation I would take his old "antique" stove. Really I believe it's just a 70's Franklin but it looks neat and has some pretty chrome so I'm going to paint it with stove bright and top coat it with an automotive clear and use it as a sign out front. Any how in our negotiations he assured me that the current stove had only been burned "a couple of times" and wouldn't need cleaning. When our crew arrived with the stove the chimney was filthy we're talking 8" class A with a 4" opening. It took well over an hour to clean if I remember right we had a total of three hours in this job. I billed him for a normal clean, my crew had no choice but to clean it. Even if they had super chimney fairies to contain the soot the dang stove wouldn't have drafted properly and surely that would have been my fault. Long story short this guy gets the bill and calls telling me how unfair it was that I charged him to clean his chimney. I thought it was unfair that he made a deal with me without divulging all information. He assured me that I will never get his business again. Upsets me to lose business but I don't think I treated him unfairly.

I think you should have charged for the cleaning and the time you spent over and above what you would for a normal stove install. He was dishonest, plain and simple. As a customer I can give a whole story about how I felt screwed by my stove dealer, who then later came around and was willing to make things right; but I can safely say it doesn't always work the other way. To be sure, there are plenty folks out there who wouldn't think twice about screwing a business and not have even the slightest guilt conscience about having done so. You did the right thing, I don't think you were unfair at all.

I also have a vc available,its a defiant encore model.Pretty good shape,its a 1991-red enamel w/8 inch flue t.It needs a new cat element but has all the options.

Pm me with the location and any other details Thanks elkimmeg

Status
Not open for further replies.