Best and worse smelling pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coloradan

Dec 9, 2009
South Central PA
Having burned alot of different brands of pellets lately, I have come home to all kinds of different aromas. So, I was wondering what everybodys favorite and least favorite smelling pellet was? I'd have to go with the Lignetics Green Label (conifer blend) as my personal favorite so far. They smell kind of "sweet" (if that makes any sense). And my least favorite would have to go to Somersets, which kind of smell like Elmer's glue (I have noticed that the Pres-to-Logs smell similar as well).

Best- Rocky Mountain
Worst - ACP

Worst - Stove Chow - between the smell and dust my wife would hack, sneeze, bark and bite until the last bag was gone.

Best: NEWP Green Supreme

Worst: Ambiance (smell like melted crayons to me)

Best by far: Okanagans

Worst: Have not encountered any pellets that smell bad.

Best = Okanagan's, Spruce Pointes for softwoods. Cubex and AWF for hardwoods.

Worst = Inferno, ACP both had a chemical smell. NEWP Schuyler Plant smelled like Used gear oil.

23westwood said:
Best: Barefoot (nice hardwood smell like an open fireplace)

Worst: Okanagans (strange smell that I have never smelled in wood before)

Best Dragon Mt

And I'm sorry BTU, but the batch I got of okies had an awful smell to them.

BTU said:
Fish On said:
23westwood said:
Best: Barefoot (nice hardwood smell like an open fireplace)

Worst: Okanagans (strange smell that I have never smelled in wood before)

Best Dragon Mt

And I'm sorry BTU, but the batch I got of okies had an awful smell to them.

Good thing I sell the Dragon's also then..... ;-)

BTU,

You've got to make certain that someone doesn't slip some Skunk Spruce in with the other stuff.

It is very easy to miss if it is really cold or cool if the ole nose is stuffed up.

Atlas northwest pride smell just like fresh cut red fir.Atlas ultra premium smell nice also.Have not had a bad smelling pellet yet.

Best: Vt Wood Pellets, Love that pine smell

Worst: haven't encountered any pellets that smell bad.

Corinth pellets that I had last year smelled like garbage.
MWP this year smell pretty good

Sorry BTU, I have to agree with fish on, although the okies burned hot and very little ash. But the rest of the family, and I thuoght the okies were weird smell.

I want 'em to stink. Stink is good, especially if they stink like vinegar. That vinegar smell is the smell of quality oak hardwood. Somersets smell like vinegar and they well should. Somerset Pellet is next door to a Weyhauser Hardwood Flooring plant in Somerset, Kentucky.

This is an old post but I believe the okies were from a bad batch at one time, I just ordered 2 tons so they should be better then before.... I hope sniff sniff

Fish On said:
This is an old post but I believe the okies were from a bad batch at one time, I just ordered 2 tons so they should be better then before.... I hope sniff sniff

X2 on the bad batch of Okies last year. Burned great, smelled awfull

Best: Spruce Pointe

Worst - Freedom Fuel smells like waxed pencil shavings

Best - Newp nice wood smell.

Okies- I have to admit it is an Funky smell, but they do burn great Sorry BTU, I call em like I smell em ;-)

Best-new Maine Woods & Okies.Haven't tried anything bad smelling yet.With oil prices on the rise again-THEY ALL SMELL LIKE MONEY$$$!

Reactions: VintageGal
I've only burned Sommerset, and Whitelightning pellets, but to be honest, to me they all smell like wood. Mine were made from hardwood flooring sawdust, so my guess is they smell like hardwood floors. Are pellets supposed to have a "smell " to them? I see all these descriptions about odors Im wondering whats in your pellets besides wood ?

Best: The first batch of Okies I bought smelled like Xmas trees.
Worst: The second barch of Okies I bought smelled like puke. *

*Bad batch and my dealer is making it up to me.

Best: Rocky Mountains
Worst: Okies last season's smelled like cat piss.

Status
Not open for further replies.