Best and worse smelling pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best- Turman, has that nice oak vinegar smell. My basement smells fantastic.
Worst- again, sorry BTU, my test bags of Okies last year smelled like puke. I'm going to pick up a couple more to try this year. Many places around me carry them, and it would be convenient if they worked out.

I'm happy to say that my Okies don't smell like puke like last year! After stacking 3 tons yesterday...

best- Vermont Green supreme's (too bad they burned at like 500 btu's)
worst - energex american

I have used empires they smell ah alright not horrible,the appling counties I had were ok the best I have smelled come from the softwoods I had some LG'S there were awesome smelled like a sheet of new plywood,the Currans I just unloaded havent opened a bag yet but my breezeway smells like new lumber so we will see I am anxious to see what the currans burn like....

I think I am missing something. What smell or odor? Outside I can smell wood burning. That is always good. I smell fresh wood when I open and dump a bag into the hooper. that smell is much like when I run the table saw. When the stoves runs, there is no smell or odor. Most of my burning experience is limited to Energex (Canadian) and now some Athens.

Best - Bear Mt. Doug Fir/Cedar, very woodsy smell.

Worst - FireMasters. Smell like dirt.

save$ said:
I think I am missing something. What smell or odor? Outside I can smell wood burning. That is always good. I smell fresh wood when I open and dump a bag into the hooper. that smell is much like when I run the table saw. When the stoves runs, there is no smell or odor. Most of my burning experience is limited to Energex (Canadian) and now some Athens.

I can understand. I'm only in my second year of pellet burning, last year I burned New England Pellets (Jaffery, NH plant), and missed the usual wood burning aroma.

This year I've been burning Vermont Wood Pellets and the house smells like the old woodstove, loving it. Don't know why, don't care.

I run a St. Croix Auburn, and I can't wait for winter!

NHPltBrnr said:
save$ said:

I can understand. I'm only in my second year of pellet burning, last year I burned New England Pellets (Jaffery, NH plant), and missed the usual wood burning aroma.

This year I've been burning Vermont Wood Pellets and the house smells like the old woodstove, loving it. Don't know why, don't care.

I think we are talking about the smell of the pellets themselves, like when you open a bag. If you have a wood burning aroma inside your house, you have a leak somewhere(or maybe have a window open letting the smell back inthe house). I've been burning pellets for 10 years and have tried at least a half dozen brands and have never had a wood burning smell in my home, except of course if I had to open the stove door while it was burning.

SXIPro said:
NHPltBrnr said:
save$ said:

I think we are talking about the smell of the pellets themselves, like when you open a bag. If you have a wood burning aroma inside your house, you have a leak somewhere(or maybe have a window open letting the smell back inthe house). I've been burning pellets for 10 years and have tried at least a half dozen brands and have never had a wood burning smell in my home, except of course if I had to open the stove door while it was burning.

I think my comment was misconstrued. I don't have a leak. It must be the smell from the hopper then. So far this year I've burned NEWP, Okies, and the Vermonts, and there is a noticeable difference in aroma in the house when the Vermonts are in there.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.