Best Approach to Getting on Roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Any ideas on how to set a ladder to get on the roof on my house in the picture? The ground slopes away on the other side of the chimney chase. I'm getting antsy just thinking about it.

Perhaps hiring a sweep could be best, but I'm a DIY'er, where possible.

Attachments

• new_house.jpg
    new_house.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 606
depends on how brave you are~

I used to climb out the upstairs windows and then put a stepladder or small ladder from one roof to the next.....not certain if your metal roof likes people walking on it too much. Other than that, I would place against house neat electric meter and then climb up roof.

Can you clean anything from bottom?

Im not that brave, that is out of my DIY territory. I could probably get up there, but i shure as heck couldnt do anything else but hang on.... i guess thats why im not a installer.

My installers helper was a little guy, and on occassion he would be lowered down a chase upside down for a few minutes to position a firestop or something else......a couple ropes around the waist and ankle would do the job.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit shaky up there at heights.....I'll work off a stable ladder up to about 18-20 feet, but that is as high as I'm going these days.

However you do it, rope yourself off and make sure someone is around in case you do fall off. Can you dial 911 from your mobile with your nose?

the_guad said:
However you do it, rope yourself off and make sure someone is around in case you do fall off. Can you dial 911 from your mobile with your nose?

or.. where a parachute.

Seriously, if i were going to attempt it, i would make a level area for the ladder to be on, screw some bolts in the top of that chase and lash the ladder to the chase with some bailing wire, secure the bottem of the ladder with a crow bar pounded in the ground with the curved end hooked around the bottem rung. once the ladder is 100% secure, rope yourself off to it.

What's that roof material? Looks like some sort of metal. Probably pretty slippery. I'd get a sweep. In my area they run about $100 for the first flue and like $50/per additional flue.

definitely get the sweep! can anyone tell velvet the formula for rate of speed at impact for a 30 foot fall?

bruce56bb said:
definitely get the sweep! can anyone tell velvet the formula for rate of speed at impact for a 30 foot fall?

Gravity will accelerate a body at 9.8 m/s^2 or 32' per second or ~22 mph

I vote for the sweep.... I'd be tempted to DIY, but the metal roof is what scares me. Unless of course you can get some boots with good magnets in them...

get fishing pole and cast it over the roof. then attach a good rope to it and reel it in tie off the other end to something secure like your deck post. All that is needed is a 28' ladder setup next to the chimney and electrical meter area shim the ladder feet level drive so a stake to prevent it from kicking out. when to climb it rope it off around the chimney then that fish line rope will aid you to walk up to the chimney. from there you should be able to complete the opperation IF afraid of heights forget my advice and hire a pro.
do not go up there if it is wet bring up a clothes line or other rope drop it down and have someone tie off the brushes and poles as needed it saves additional climbing wear a thick belt and loop the fish line rope around it. I supose if you are asking questions here you have doubts heed them if unsure

I make my living climbing on peoples roofs, and generally not in the best conditions. Unless you are a proffecient climber or trained in high angle rescue I would call a pro. That roof could be a nightmare. What is the pitch 12:1!

However, if you really want to do it. Ladder the chimney. Not the roof. The roof has poor footing and no place to secure yourself. (Unless you provide some sort of device. i.e. roof ladder.)
Dig out a flat area to place the ladder. Secure this ladder down to the ground with tent stakes and rope. Raise a properly sized ladder against the chimney. Secure the ladder to the chimney. Climb. Secure yourself to the ladder. It would be an excellent idea to have someone ther with you in case of an emergency.

I know in my biz a 30' fall you have a 1 in 10 chance of making it. If you'r not sure about it than don't do it. Hire some one else to do it. Being a do it you'r selfer is great but sometimes you need to step back and call in a pro. I see it at work were some people who own a chain saw think they can cut a 80' tree down next to their house. Then when I'm standing on their kitchen table cutting the tree out of their house and they say "can you please becareful of my table" I say 'You should have thought of that before you tried to cut the tree. Know you'r limitations

hope this helps

John

Damn fine looking spread you have there though.

Go directly to a chimney sweep. Do no pass go, do not collect $200. That roof is too steep and slippery to deal with so get a sweep in there to go up the chase. If that extended flue on the front side has to be cleaned you will end up at the top of the chase looking at the other five feet or so saying "Ok. What the heck do I do now.".

I have always cleaned my own but after going up and down a bazillion times on one like that but with fiberglass shingles and an easier pitch to line the chimneys this year, I think this old guy is headed for calling in the sweeps in another year or two. And pay'em a few bucks to clean out the gutters while they are there.

if you are comfortable with going on the roof set a ladder on the side of the house in front of the chimney you can put it up against the chimney for extra stability make sure too do it when the roof is dry because metal is slippery where soft soled boots or sneakers the softer the better when you step off the ladder dont step on a rung above the roofline because you could kick the ladder out then you would wish you called a profesional to do it if you are the least bit reluctant dont do it ! its not worth it i am a roofer and have fallen off roofs accidents do happen good luck keith

You hear the one about the guy who tied the safety rope to the bumper of his truck, throws the line over the house, ties himself off and climbs a ladder, working on his roof and the wife comes out of the house, jumps in the truck and drives to the store?

TedNH said:
You hear the one about the guy who tied the safety rope to the bumper of his truck, throws the line over the house, ties himself off and climbs a ladder, working on his roof and the wife comes out of the house, jumps in the truck and drives to the store?
That story is the first thing i thought of when Elk mentioned throwing a fishing line over the house ............

My old house was somewhat similar...perhaps worse in some ways, 12/12 pitch metal roof over the great room, with the chase/chimney at the outside center, (daylight basement made it 3 stories up, added interest), the "rear" portion of the house was shallower, only 4/12, also all metal. My approach was to get on the 4/12 part, straddle the peak and "shimmy" my way to the chase, on my butt. I.d to yours the same way, go up from the garage side if you have a long enough ladder (ground looks flatter) and work across. What's your pitch? You can get along fine on metal with a 4/12, passibly on 5/12 (as long as its dry and dust free), anything steeper, hire it out!

BTW, "pucker factor" will hold you in place on the ridge!

Bri

I have a metal roof house, it is not as tall as your ,when i sweep i have about 8 large bathtub mats i lay down as i am climbing roof then remove as i am coming back down have not had any trouble

tnroadkill said:
I have a metal roof house, it is not as tall as your ,when i sweep i have about 8 large bathtub mats i lay down as i am climbing roof then remove as i am coming back down have not had any trouble

Velvetfoot, this is a good idea. When the sweep comes out to clean the chimney hand him some bathtub mats. :cheese:

Thats one scary SOB you got there. About all you have missing are the damned round head rocks that my wife lined the perimeter of my place with. If I was going to do that puppy at the least I would have a line secured to the back of my old truck. Even then I would probably call a pro in your case. You can get yer back side sanded to a nub sliding down one of those roof and all thats going to do is get you warmed up for the main event. Those nasty screws with the hex head gives you some sort of a rough ride. Seriously, once you get going on one of those roofs you just can't get stopped. I have seen houses lilke that around here. They attach the ladder permanently to the roof.

brian_in_idaho said:
My old house was somewhat similar...perhaps worse in some ways, 12/12 pitch metal roof over the great room, with the chase/chimney at the outside center, (daylight basement made it 3 stories up, added interest), the "rear" portion of the house was shallower, only 4/12, also all metal. My approach was to get on the 4/12 part, straddle the peak and "shimmy" my way to the chase, on my butt. I.d to yours the same way, go up from the garage side if you have a long enough ladder (ground looks flatter) and work across. What's your pitch? You can get along fine on metal with a 4/12, passibly on 5/12 (as long as its dry and dust free), anything steeper, hire it out!

BTW, "pucker factor" will hold you in place on the ridge!

Bri

brian, that sounds very similar to my situation. the pucker factor is very high when i am on the roof.
bruce

Attachments

• houseback.JPG
    houseback.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 272
Status
Not open for further replies.