Best Approach to Getting on Roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
brian_in_idaho said:
My approach was to get on the 4/12 part, straddle the peak and "shimmy" my way to the chase, on my butt.
BTW, "pucker factor" will hold you in place on the ridge!

Bri
Ha, Thanks for that visual ...........

Thanks for all the tips.
The liner guy on the roof as I recall wound up sitting on top of the chase while waiting for the other guys to get things ready.
I think they did not have a ladder long enough to go up the side of the chase. The ground does slope away there. I'm pretty sure my ladder wouldn't be long enough, although this is a good idea - I also don't think I'm strong enough to move around a longer ladder!
The tips about securing the ladder are especially helpful.
I was nervous going up on the roof on my last house - this wouldn't be any less nerve racking. Being nervous doesn't help.
The roof isn't as steep as it looks, but probably as slippery!
I've been thinking about going in from the bottom, but the noodle-like rods I would need to get through the insert might not have the umph to get to the top - I think it might be a little expensive to experiment too, since those rods aren't too cheap.

you could ladder the roof on the Garage side ( looks like it has less hight and Flat ground)
of the house at the ridge and walk or scoot across the ridge line to the fireplace.

Check out this job we did
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/index.html

BWT
I Had a guy slip 15 feet down a metal roof and take a 29 foot fall from the eve to the ground.
he was 210#'s he was back to work in 30 days. He landed on his feet and Fractured his pelvis.
This was in Yosemite National park so it took 3 hours to get him to a hospital.

brian_in_idaho said:
That takes big ones, going on that roof when your boots are wet.

Feet?

The top of my chase is in the 30' range. what i did was build a little 2x4 ladder on the backside facing the peak. I walk the peak and craw down my 10/12 pitch roof to the ladder and climb up the one built to the chase. for somereason this feels more safe then leaning a ladder up against it, i do have 28' extension ladders, but i DO NOT like them.

MountainStoveGuy said:
The top of my chase is in the 30' range. what i did was build a little 2x4 ladder on the backside facing the peak. I walk the peak and craw down my 10/12 pitch roof to the ladder and climb up the one built to the chase. for somereason this feels more safe then leaning a ladder up against it, i do have 28' extension ladders, but i DO NOT like them.

Smart idea, I should have tried that. I don't like heights, making that shift from the ridge to the top of the chase was...not graceful, lets leave it at that.

Bri

brian_in_idaho said:
Hearthtools, were you doing that job during the snow season? That takes big ones, going on that roof when your boots are wet. Roof ladders are great things.

What els we going to do Shut down for the winter?
The crappy part was that we could not get up the driveway with our NON 4x4 cab over truck so we had to Walk all the tools and pipe 100 yards to the job.

trick to gettin on a wet or snow roof.
put down a drop cloth on roof to walk on.

Status
Not open for further replies.