Q&A Best brand of vented gas logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a home with a fireplace which I want to put gas logs in. The place was built in 1926, Spanish style, and has a gas line to the fireplace. The fireplace is 31 across the back and 24 deep from the back to the hearth at the floor of the fireplace. Getting heat is not an issue; we just want a realistic, very nice, fire. What brands would you recommend? How different are the looks of the Monessen, Rasmussen, and Peterson vented logs? I am sure saying something about specific makes is difficult, but some guidance would be great. I know Peterson is the big guy. Price is not the major issue, but about $800 would be the max I could spend.

Answer:

Vented logs in the brands you mention are very similar. There is not much technology in a simply pipe with holes in it and sand in the burner pan. I have good experience with Peterson since I sold it for years.

Most vented logs can be bought for $300-$400 without installation.

Your decision may come down to how the logs look when not burning, or the detail of the specific logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.