Best Cart To Move Cut Wood Around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey_C

Jul 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Without using a tractor. What type of carts do you guys use to Move cut wood from woodpiles around? This will be my first year with a wood burning stove and where the cord wood will be dumped is not very close to where I will be stacking it so I was thinking about getting a cart.

Started on a small woodpile that's close to the house but a majority of the wood will be on the other side of the driveway.

Here's my first woodpile which is under the porch.
20160917_123716-01_thumb.jpg

These get decent reviews but I was wondering what you pros use and if there was a better system for moving wood across the yard in the dead of winter-

It's 25 inches wide by 40 inches long. I've seen the powdercoated steel ones with the drop down sides but living close to the ocean i figure it would just get rusted. I'm curious what everyone else uses.

29674515842_51737452a8_b.jpg

10 cubic foot double wheel wheelbarrow

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I prefer traditional single wheel wheelbarrows, much more maneuverable than those double wheel things. Aren't those double wheel barrows made for girls who can't balance a normal wheelbarrow? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say no tractor.

Does that also mean no ride-on or ATV either? Just human powered?

In that case, I use a wheelbarrow. (Mine has one wheel). But that cart you posted might work good.

I like a standard wheelbarrow. Looks like the on-deck stack under the porch will hold pretty much wood. You will probably be able to dodge the bad weather and move more wood up when weather permits.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
20150920_172228.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the bed of my truck or a wheel barrel. If I can't get at it with either of those, easily, I don't need it that bad.

Seems like most use a wheelbarrow. I'd think the four wheeled cart would be easier but I wonder if there are those that have used both. I guess I'm wondering if the people that are using wheelbarrows are using wheelbarrows only because it's what they've always used. Hmmm...

A standard wheelbarrow brings in a days supply conveniently for me. Slighty longer distance from my woodshed.

I had a cart from the hardware store that held more wood but was harder to maneuver, It also fell apart because it was held together with the tiniest spot welds I've ever seen

TIP - invest in a solid tire/wheel for the wheel barrow, expensive ( $25) but will last. Once the standard wheel goes flat by itself the bead is broken and it cant be fixed

Reactions: Joey_C
Seems like most use a wheelbarrow. I'd think the four wheeled cart would be easier but I wonder if there are those that have used both. I guess I'm wondering if the people that are using wheelbarrows are using wheelbarrows only because it's what they've always used. Hmmm...

For the yard, I use a standard single-wheel wheelbarrow to move from splitting area to stacks unless I'm moving a large amount of wood to another stack at which time it goes in the pickup bed. I also have that firewood cart/tote that you posted above and that thing is invaluable. We use that to haul the wood inside and fill the rack next to the stove. It is manageable to pull it up stairs when fully loaded and I throw down plastic runners across the living room in the winter so it can be wheeled right to the rack. I don't think it is heavy duty enough to haul wood around the yard though for extended amounts of time. As a matter of fact, I had to customize it some because the machine screws that hold it together originally screwed right into the frame and most loosened up/stripped out in the first year. I drilled the holes through and replaced with nuts, bolts and lock washers which solved that problem and it's held together for about 5 years now.

My neighbor owns the 1200 pound cart like that and we own the Groundwork brand 800. The 1200 is definitely better as the steering is more robust and I believe the tires are a bit larger. Both work well for moving firewood. I prefer the cart to a wheelbarrow because the cart can be hooked to a mower or garden tractor and double as a trailer. I also think it's a bit easier to manage when it's loaded heavily and easier to double team with two people than a wheel barrow. If I had to replace the one we have tomorrow I would buy the 1200 pound cart like you posted over a wheel barrow, despite how it's not quite as simple and durable.

My SIL has a 4-wheeled cart and a double-wheel 'barrow so I've had a chance to use 'em all. As several have said, the standard wheelbarrow is just more maneuverable than anything else. Real easy to put it exactly where you want it. I've even ventured into the woods with one on occasion. I wouldn't want to try that with a cart. Then I rigged my wife to the front end with a snatch-'em strap looped around her with the hooks on the axle, to haul out rounds. YMMV trying that... ==c
The double 'barrow does have a big tray...

Last edited:
My SIL has a 4-wheeled cart and a double-wheel 'barrow so I've had a chance to use 'em all. As several have said, the standard wheelbarrow is just more maneuverable than anything else. Real easy to put it exactly where you want it. I've even ventured into the woods with one on occasion. I wouldn't want to try that with a cart. Then I rigged my wife to the front end with a snatch-'em strap looped around her with the hooks on the axle, to haul out rounds. YMMV trying that... ==c
The double 'barrow does have a big tray...
I have no intention of going in the woods. It's pretty much a flat yard going back and forth from where the wood delivery guy dumps it in the driveway to about 40 yards in either direction to under the porch or to a remote woodpile on the other side of the yard 1/2 acre, flat.

As a side note, my little quad trailer is actually pretty handy for moving wood if you have another person to push as you pull and steer. Holds two or three wheelbarrows of wood.
upload_2016-9-19_11-47-9.jpeg

I have one of those, or something very much like it. It's good for bringing a load into the house. You can actually pull it up a few steps without too much trouble. For outdoor work, though, a standard wheelbarrow is still way better in terms of capacity, maneuverability, and durability. I also sometimes use a dolly to transport rounds to a better splitting site, especially when they're too heavy to lift into a wheelbarrow.

I use this,indestructible holds 1000 lbs easily,John Deere.
jd.jpg

Reactions: wardk and Joey_C
I like the maneuverability of single wheel wheel-barrow. For a much improved upgrade put a solid tire on the wheel barrow. No more worries about flats, and you can really over-fill it.

Also, consider use of a sled (someone else's good idea on the site). When the backyard is saturated and I don't want to trash/ rut the turf I use a poly game sled https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHTFIAM/?tag=hearthamazon-20.
It carries about as much or more than the wheel barrow. It works great hauling wood across snow from back stacks to the house.
I try to bring in enough supply when turf is dry, until we get a good snow.

I use this,indestructible holds 1000 lbs easily,John Deere.View attachment 184120

Not quite indestructible. Plowing snow with the big tractor in the blizzard last winter I didn't look behind me and backed over mine. Destructed it bigtime. ;em

Appears that 4,000 pounds was overloading it.

Joey,
Welcome to the site, and welcome to saving ridiculous amounts of money.

I am too, starting my first winter. (Started burning Feb 1.)
Being "virgins" I'm sure we're both messing up all over town, but learning here
and getting things right real fast. I don't like double working wither.
As long as we keep a clean chimney first and foremost, the rest can fall into place as
needed.
I have the identical cart. lol Takes two for a 24 hour burn, overnighter included.
Fill the tote first trip, leave the 2nd cartload on the porch for later. Added two lawnmower wheels
under the handle end and it made the thing into a whole new beast.
Also there's a utility sled for dragging over the snow.

I don't even bother with the pickup or tractor as it's 90 ft from fuel stack to house.
Just far enuff to prevent bug infestation of the shanty.

This site is changing me after being a lifelong procrasinator. "I'll get it tomorrow"
doesn't work well in this game. Bought a high quality splitter, and a beater truck that can

get scratched thus far. Next is a powered splitter.

Reactions: Tom123 and Joey_C
I've got two home-made carts to haul behind the ATV . . . but honestly when I'm moving the wood short distances from the pile to the seasoning stacks . . . or from the woodshed to the porch I tend to use the tried-and-true wheelbarrow (until the snow flies -- then I use a canvas tote).

Reactions: St. Coemgen
Status
Not open for further replies.