Best chainsaw for 10 cord, $1000 budget. 25" diameter hard wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ford heritage base model with only the 4.2 V6. Any kind of a load and it bogs down BUT it gets the job done. I paid 7,000 for it. I can't justify new trucks at 50k or more. Heck, there are guys who pay more for their 4 wheelers than I paid for my truck. It has an 8ft bed with good tires. I have a two axle flat bed that I tow a car with. If I was strong enough to put 4 foot logs on it, I would but as is it is useless for hauling wood unless someone loads it for me with a machine.
I paid a grand for my '78 F150 300/4.9L T-18 w/8' bed and I sunk a few hundred into new window seals and shifter and shaft boots. It runs and hauls wood great!
image.jpg

if it's a penny for your thoughts, and you have to put your 2 cents in, someone is making a penny on that deal(S.W.) But heres my 2, i went the used Dolmar/Makita route. Called Home Depot,asked to have my name written down for the next rental saw sale....i got a excellent saw for $258.00,the DCS6421, and that model can be upgraded to the 7900.....i would then put the rest of the money towards other things,like a log splitter......if you don't have one.....also,the saw isn't the lightest,but i'm a small guy(see pic.) and the weight hasn't bothered me yet

Last edited:
Bought a Husky 562XP this spring and used it to bring in the 10 cords. Compared to the 350 I previously ran primarily, not even close...at least twice as fast. Compared to my 372XP, about the same....but way lighter. In fact, the 350 vs the 362xp, I don't really notice a difference in weight. 372XP feels like a relative tank.

Oddly enough, I got Stihl chain on the new 18" bar and it does seem to be the best cutting chain I've used. Seems to stay sharp the longest....

I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Reactions: TreePointer
If new or buy a 441cm stihl. If used I would find a good mastermind ported 046 to buy !!

In general, Stihl saws make it somewhat easier to change the chain than Husqvarna does, because Husky uses outboard clutches and Stihl uses inboard clutches.

Before you buy, do a little reading about the self-tuning feature now offered by Stihl and Husky on some models. They have a simple computer that watches the saw's performance and uses solenoids to adjust the carburetor needles to keep it running as it should, so there's less fiddling for the user to worry about. This has been available for a few years, and the reviews I've seen have almost all been very positive.
Not all husky are outboard. The 372xp is inboard as are several more.

Reactions: TreePointer
Not all husky are outboard. The 372xp is inboard as are several more.

Oh, good to know. I've only had Huskies up to 60cc or so, and they've all been outboard.

Reactions: clemsonfor
I also have the "two saw plan" albeit in hindsight, I wish I went a bit LARGER with my smaller saw... I am seriously thinking about talking to "Mastermind" after the Holidays to see if I can schedule a session for his magic....
Most of the stuff I am been playing with lately is big (30-50" at the base) therefore the 261 has been taking a vacation watching the other do all the real work. Used the 261 last week to finish my final cut of the day when the Ø66 ran out of gas. Dont get me wrong, its a great saw but... Yeah I know - this is my absolute first post on this forum... been reading it for quite some time and thought it was about time i joined this fine group :)

Reactions: Ashful
I bought an MS362 back in May. It was just under $800 with a 20" bar. For another $100 or so you can pick up a 25" bar and chain for the big stuff. You will still have $100 left over to buy something nice for the Mrs. so make up for the $900 you spent on toys tools.

If you haven't bought one yet. Look at a 60cc saw. They are a good all around saws. I would look at a dolmar 6100. My father in law just bought one and he cuts timber. He likes it a lot. He uses it most of the time unless he gets into some big timber which that's what his jonsered 2712 are for. But that dolmar is well balanced and has plenty of power and torque. Torque is what dolmars are known far. It is a pro saw and is quite a bit cheaper than stihl and husky of equivalent size.

Reactions: CTYank
And if u buy the Dol-kita that size you can put the 7900 top end on it with no other changes and have an 80cc saw!!!

Husqvarna 555. It's the ultimate firewood saw. Basically a 562 XP with the small bar mount. Virtually a 560 XP that's not available North America. I don't think there is a saw for $1000? Maybe a 25lb 90-120cc old growth cutter. Silly, heavy gas guzzling relics.

There are plenty of $1000 saws. The stihl 441 is right under that mark. The 460 is right there the 660 is $1250 is and there is the 880 which is like $2000ish. And a 441 is not that big of a saw?

And if u buy the Dol-kita that size you can put the 7900 top end on it with no other changes and have an 80cc saw!!!
You can buy a 6400 and put the 7900 jug on it. They also make a big bore kit too. I think its a 85 or 86cc. I have ran a 7900 and they cut. They are almost wild for firewood. My father in law cuts timber and has run several 7900's. They dont hold up lime they should for the money. The 7300 holds up better in the long run. He has a few jonsered 2172. Has one thats over 2yrs old and still goin. And he cuts timber for a living. So he knows what lasts and what dont.

Your right after I posted I was thinking it was like a 6400 or 6500 or something that will take the big top end on it.

I know a big saw is nice to cut with. I have to agree with my father in law on this. Why pack a big saw around when a smaller lighter saw will work. Sure a big saw has its place in the big stuff which he uses the big saws for. But a majority of the time he uses his dolmar 6100 or 2260 jonsered. They are lighter, easier to maneuver, easier on fuel and makes less wear and tear on you yourself. I beleive. I drug my stihl 441 through the woods and brush for a day and I felt like I was ran over a truck at the end of the day. I have seen him take down some big trees with 60cc saws and a 20" bar. I personally dont uses my 441 unless I have to. Just something to think about.

Reactions: Jerhurt
I use a smaller saw when need be as well easier to use. Bit nothing like running the 70 and 80cc saws...but they sure do love the fuel!! But they make quick work of bucking!

Around here, the trees get big. I saw this the other day while in traffic. It might be nice. But then you 'd need a truck to haul it around.

BigSaw.cropped.jpg

Reactions: R'Lee
Looks like an 075 or 090

I have a farm boss and on a oak - sugar maple/rock maple thats a tough cut (25" diameter) so if I did it all the time I would want better

but that said - I dont and the farm boss cuts almost everything I get easily enough
20" bar with full chisel chain

-love a nice sharp full chisel chain :')

I've enjoyed the heck out of my pawnshop Makita 6400>7900 upgrade (OEM P&C, HD air kit) the past few years. I have around $550 in that saw and its been a dream. Starts in 2-3 pulls every time, no issues and never lacks power. Good AV. Easy to work on. Great saw, I will buy a Dolmar 7900 in a heartbeat if I ever have to replace it. I just ordered the 550xp for something smaller and lighter and as a backup for my 7900. The 550xp (or 545) would be a great option too. So would a Makita/Dolmar 6400 or a ms260/026 or a 362 or a ______. Lots of options.

Around here, the trees get big. I saw this the other day while in traffic. It might be nice. But then you 'd need a truck to haul it around.

View attachment 136832
It almost looks like the 090 contra. I think that's what its called anyways. Good little trim saw. Lol. It looks like a motor off a dirt bike. It would be fun to run at least once.

I have a farm boss and on a oak - sugar maple/rock maple thats a tough cut (25" diameter) so if I did it all the time I would want better

but that said - I dont and the farm boss cuts almost everything I get easily enough
20" bar with full chisel chain

-love a nice sharp full chisel chain :')
My dad has a stihl 029 super. Its probably goin on 15yrs old. I haved logged a lot of hours on it and its been an outstanding saw. The other saw is a good ole stihl 041 farmboss. We run a 18in bar and a 404 chain. It cuts good. Its a little hard on the ears and there is now antivibe one that old beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.