Best chainsaw for about $450 (at most)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mharmon

Oct 20, 2008
Western WA
Hello,

I've searched the forums already for this topic and it seems that stihl, husqvarna, and dolmar are the ones to get. I need somthing that'll saw up several chords a year and I'd prefer a servicable unit versus a "buy and throw away" unit.

My question is; what is the best stihl/dolmar/husqvarna that I can get for $450 at most?

How well do the following chainsaws measure up?

Stihl MS 270
http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-006504-prodid-540.aspx

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=192741-86886-GAS CHAIN SAW&lpage=none

Thanks in advance for any input.

mharmon said:
Hello,

I've searched the forums already for this topic and it seems that stihl, husqvarna, and dolmar are the ones to get. I need somthing that'll saw up several chords a year and I'd prefer a servicable unit versus a "buy and throw away" unit.

My question is; what is the best stihl/dolmar/husqvarna that I can get for $450 at most?

Stihl MS 270

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=192741-86886-GAS CHAIN SAW&lpage=none

To answer your question, Dolmar 5100.

sl7vk said:
mharmon said:
Hello,

Stihl MS 270

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
I have to 2nd that for that price range 5100 one heck of a 50cc saw for about 400.00

To answer your question, Dolmar 5100.
2nd that!

My only question would be what application are you using the saw for?

Of the two you mentioned, I prefer the Stihl 270..... If those are your only two options.

Husqvarna 346xp ne or the Stihl 260 are both quality as well....

sl7vk said:

Of the two you mentioned, I prefer the Stihl 270..... If those are your only two options.

That puts him over 450.00 the 260 pro is 525.00 not sure on the husky

smokinj said:
sl7vk said:

That puts him over 450.00 the 260 pro is 525.00 not sure on the husky

Husky is 470 or so....

Bigg_Redd said:
I love my Stihl 290, but according to everyone on this board it is heavy and underpowered.
13 lbs for a 55cc saw is heavy never the less a good saw!(if it works for you a great saw)

Pick em up and see which one fits you better. I'm guessing you can score one of these saws much cheaper than 450 there are a ton of them out there.

smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:
I love my Stihl 290, but according to everyone on this board it is heavy and underpowered.
13 lbs for a 55cc saw is heavy never the less a good saw!(if it works for you a great saw)

If it was just me I'd pipe down but I know a dozen people with them who've cut hundreds of cords between them for years with 290s and never had a problem. Mine has given me 5 years of fairly hard service with no trouble and comes in below the $400 mark. JMHO.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:

If it was just me I'd pipe down but I know a dozen people with them who've cut hundreds of cords between them for years with 290s and never had a problem. Mine has given me 5 years of fairly hard service with no trouble and comes in below the $400 mark. JMHO.
Pipe down thought that was real positive have no problem with stihl or the 290 had a 029 myself had it for more than 10 years! You must be reading something that i didnt imply

Dolmar 5100s is the best I know of for that price range.

As for the 029 or now the 290, I had a 029 a few years back and ran it hard for 11 years.

But I'd not go back to running one as the weight/power ratio is poor compared to the pro saws I run now.

I'd much rather run my 5100 than a 029 or a husky Rancher 455, I've used all three and just not comparable, the 5100 is a much, much better value.

Domlar 5100 is my vote. I have both 5100 and ms310.

I will also vote for a Dolmar 5100, its the best feeling saw for what I do I have ever run. I sold my stihls and bought Dolmars and haven't looked back. :roll:

Shipper

Looks fairly unanimous the Dolmar 5100 seems to be everyones favorite for this price range. It would be my choice for a one saw operation as it has a nice balance of weight power and size. Not too big for limbing, not too small for bucking.

Another vote for Dolmar...Not that Husky and Stihl don't make some good saws, as well as Echo, Efco, Shindaiwa, Solo, Jonsered, and Redmax...but after spending some time with my Dolmar 5100, I am very impressed. Hard to beat at that price point. Mine is kind of a strange setup with a 20" bar and a low profile 3/8 chain (the way it came), but it just screams through about anything. After about 8-10 tanks of fuel, it really became quite a machine.

I would highly recommend getting one. If you do, go with the 3/8chain & sprocket...very aggressive cutter.
Light weight, low vibe, aluminum frame including the bar oil reservoir....right now know one can match the stats from this saw in the 50cc range. (I looked at all the saws in this price/power range)
I’ve cut about 7-8 cords since May without looking back

My dealer is still getting $399.00 for The Dolmar 5100s
3.1 ci.
50.7 cc.
14,500 rpm
3.9 hp.
11.2 lb. powerhead

WoodButcher

I have a Husky 350 and have cut 25 cord this summer. I love that saw. Very dependable not to heavy and more than powerful enough to cut anything that an 18" bar and chain will go through. Price range for this grade of saw is $300+. But I did have a sthi 028 it was a little heavy for a saw with a 20" bar but it would cut and keep on going without losing power. It was just to heavy for daily use.

The Husky Rancher saws are their mid-grade units, better than homeowner, but not a pro-saw.

The Dolmar 5100 is a full on pro-saw, which means you get lighter weight, more power, easier maintainance and repair, etc... At the price it's a great value.

Gooserider

Got a Husky 359 at Southwest Trading a couple of months ago for $430.
I thought that was a good deal because the local dealer wanted $520 for the Jonsered equivalent. I do my own saw work so dealer support wasn't that important to me. Now for those who say the dealer has to make a living too, I've spent over 3 grand in implements there this year. He's doing fine.

slofr8 said:
Got a Husky 359 at Southwest Trading a couple of months ago for $430.
I thought that was a good deal because the local dealer wanted $520 for the Jonsered equivalent. I do my own saw work so dealer support wasn't that important to me. Now for those who say the dealer has to make a living too, I've spent over 3 grand in implements there this year. He's doing fine.

That guy is local to me!

I live a mile away from that shop. His brick and mortar shop is called something different then his online venture (southwest trading). Family owned Husqvarna, Jonsenered, and Echo dealer. Very nice people. I buy all my bars, chains, oil, etc.... from them.

I'm looking for my 1st saw too. I'll mostly just be cutting delivered logs to length once a year or so.
I want the Dolmar 5100, based on what I've read here, but the closest dealer is 45 min. away so I looked at some Husqies today.
The dealer recommended a 350 ($329). I don't see it on Husqy's site so I guess it's discontinued ? He suggested that the 455 Rancher wasn't worth the extra weight.
I'm not a big guy so he may be right. A sore back is no fun.
On the website I was comparing some others and the 445 and the 450E show lower vibration specs. than some others in their line. That seems important ?
The 350 is a little bit lighter than any of these mentioned at 10.6 lbs.
Which saw for me ?

Brian VT said:
I'm looking for my 1st saw too. I'll mostly just be cutting delivered logs to length once a year or so.
I want the Dolmar 5100, based on what I've read here, but the closest dealer is 45 min. away so I looked at some Husqies today.
The dealer recommended a 350 ($329). I don't see it on Husqy's site so I guess it's discontinued ? He suggested that the 455 Rancher wasn't worth the extra weight.
I'm not a big guy so he may be right. A sore back is no fun.
On the website I was comparing some others and the 445 and the 450E show lower vibration specs. than some others in their line. That seems important ?
The 350 is a little bit lighter than any of these mentioned at 10.6 lbs.
Which saw for me ?
the 350 is a 50cc saw if i rember right and price sounds good dealer right there Gofore it!
10.6lbs 50 cc saw Good deal

I was told by a Husky dealer to avoid any 4 or 5 series husky. The 2 and 3 series are much better in his opinion. Husky numbers are: first number is series the next two or three indicate engine size in CC's

Weird...
I found the 350 on Husqy's site: http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/products_product_details.aspx?pid=132
but it's not listed in their chainsaw lineup: http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3098.aspx?nid=45707
Is it discontinued ? It does seem a bit better than than 353E. Less vibration and 1/2 lb. lighter. I dunno the price on the 353E or if my dealer even has one.
Also, I read a few reviews of some 350s leaking gas out the handle (where some of the gas is stored).

I dunno. I'm tired of all this comparing. I may just make the trip and get the Dolmar. I can handle maintenance/repairs myself. Just warranty issues would be a pita.
I should mention...I told the Husqy dealer that I was thinking about the Dolmar. He said he thinks they're great saws and he has brought them in to sell 3 times "over the years" (Sachs/Dolmar, blue Makitas, Dolmars). He said people don't just didn't buy them. The guy's gotta sell saws to make a living and I guess he's doing pretty well with Husqvarna.

Status
Not open for further replies.