Best Chainsaw for bucking and limbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Str8781 said:
So let me ask this, what saw do you guys use for the majority of your cutting?

A Stihl MS-361. Although a littler heavier than your target weight, it is one hell of an all around firewood saw.

Jags said:
Str8781 said:

A Stihl MS-361. Although a littler heavier than your target weight, it is one hell of an all around firewood saw.

hey jags whats the "361 with chipper" stand for on your sig!

smokinj said:
Jags said:
Str8781 said:

hey jags whats the "361 with chipper" stand for on your sig!

Full chisel. Round these parts, most ding dongs call them a chipper blade. It was actually funny to me when I wrote it, but not so much any more.

LLigetfa said:
I use a 65cc saw with 16" bar and full chisel chain. It weighs a tad more than 10 pounds. I wouldn't trade it for a wimpy saw even if it I couldn't lift it anymore.

I want pics of how that is gonna work. :lol: Three point hitch holder for the saw and lower it into the cut with the hydraulics.

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:
I use a 65cc saw with 16" bar and full chisel chain. It weighs a tad more than 10 pounds. I wouldn't trade it for a wimpy saw even if it I couldn't lift it anymore.

I want pics of how that is gonna work. :lol: Three point hitch holder for the saw and lower it into the cut with the hydraulics.

Park that tractor next to one with that Craiglist splitter you found and you would have one mean production line.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39648/

BrotherBart said:
I want pics of how that is gonna work. :lol:
I don't think they will allow cameras inside the nursing home.

This whole burning wood thing is my exercise program otherwise I could just use the gas furnace and atrophy.

7300 75%, 350 25%. If I knew that everything I needed to cut was less than 20", the 350 would do fine. But the 7300 is a lot of fun. :coolsmirk:

I am about the same size and build as you. I bought the Dolmar P5100 as a an all-around saw. I like the power/weight ratio, and the anti-vibration technology. I checked out Stihl saws - nice saws, but a little on the heavy side for me. I have bucked about 2 cords of hickory with the Dolmar so far, and am quite happy with it, but it is a bit heavy for me to use for extended limbing. If I was going to do a lot of limbing, I would get a smaller, lighter saw than the P5100.

I do most of my cutting with a Dolmar 7900, which I purchased as an upgrade to my original 36cc Pull-On Woodsman... I normally run a 20" bar w/ full chisel, but I have a 28" bar that I've used for the occasional really big rounds. While it is kind of fun doing 2" limbs with an 80cc saw, it is a tiny bit on the overkill side... :coolgrin: (I cut up nearly ALL of any trees I drop, anything over an inch goes in the wood pile...)

If weight is an issue, I would definitely look for a pro-grade saw, they tend to have much better weight and power numbers than consumer grade saws in the same CC category, plus they tend to be much better built, easier to maintain and repair, etc...

If looking for a "One-Saw-Plan" saw, I'd probably go for a 50cc class saw, as they seem the best overall compromise between light enough for limbing and small stuff, while still having the cojones for reasonably heavy duty cutting. In that size range, I think that if you have a good dealer in your area, or can do your own repair work, the best saw for the money is the Dolmar 5100s (this is the pro-grade model - the 510 is the same size in a lower grade, has a little less power and weighs more...)

The biggest thing is don't over-bar, or at least not without doing it on purpose - I would probably run a 16" bar on a 50cc saw for most use, with maybe a 20-22" bar using a "skip chain" as the backup for cutting the main bar loose if you get stuck, or to have something that you can use on the occasional big log that won't work with the short bar...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.