Best CL find for me (so far)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Responded to an ad for free firewood. Talked to the guy and he said he was dropping 4 or 5 trees for a homeowner and that I could have as much of it as I wanted. Naturally I told him I'd take ALL of it. The job was only 10 miles away. The guy said that the cutters would be there at 08:00 and I could begin loading anytime afterwards.
I arrived at 08:00 delighted to find that not only would the cutters drop the trees, but they would cut them in 18" sections. Between my truck and 5x8 trailer I am able to haul about a cord per trip. By 5PM I loaded the last of the wood, five cords total. The wood was mainly Locust and Oak. There was also a cherry and maple in there somewhere. For the week, I'm over six cords of free wood from CL which is enough for the 2011-2012 heating season. Tomorrow the splitting begins!!!!

DSC_0374.jpg
DSC_0376.jpg
10.9#3.jpg
DSC_0384.jpg

Great score, they don't get any better than that.

zap

I don't think it gets much better than that in real life! Nice score there - enough for a full season free in one day just have to haul and split. Yeah, I am jealous but I will keep my eyes open and keep answering any promising CL ads - my ship is bound to come in some day :)

It's been my experience that if you can get them on the phone you get the wood. I check CL usually twice a day, and respond immediately to any ad that looks promising. In my case for this five cords I had emailed the guy within the hour that it was posted, he responded immediately and once I assured him that I had the right equipment and time to commit to removing that quantity of wood in a day, he removed the ad. So the window of opportunity of this wood was literally less than an hour. But its always a crap shoot as we all know. The other locust I got this week, several people had responded to the ad but either turned it down or didn't show. The issue was when the tree fell it landed mostly over a steep hillside. I showed up, walked over the hill, cut the tree in two, and then drug it up on the level with a chain to finish the job. I don't think I was there a full hour from start to finish. So far so good on CL for me.

Wow free wood, already cut and locust! And 5 cords are you sh#$& me?
Great score!

way to go Tom, it was nice meeting you the other day. Keep up to good work.

sgt7546 said:
Responded to an ad for free firewood. Talked to the guy and he said he was dropping 4 or 5 trees for a homeowner and that I could have as much of it as I wanted. Naturally I told him I'd take ALL of it. The job was only 10 miles away. The guy said that the cutters would be there at 08:00 and I could begin loading anytime afterwards.
I arrived at 08:00 delighted to find that not only would the cutters drop the trees, but they would cut them in 18" sections. Between my truck and 5x8 trailer I am able to haul about a cord per trip. By 5PM I loaded the last of the wood, five cords total. The wood was mainly Locust and Oak. There was also a cherry and maple in there somewhere. For the week, I'm over six cords of free wood from CL which is enough for the 2011-2012 heating season. Tomorrow the splitting begins!!!!

DSC_0374.jpg
DSC_0376.jpg
10.9#3.jpg
DSC_0384.jpg

Fabulous score!!!! Now that's my idea of a good score, cut to length, 10 miles to drive and high quality wood!

Ray

zapny said:
Great score, they don't get any better than that.

zap

Just sayin' hi Zap! We did the Syracuse trip a couple weeks ago and the ride was long but quite scenic.. Our son is doing well at school there and the campus was impressive.. Hope all is well there..

Ray

Good deal . . . lots of wood . . . and bucked up for you to boot. Doesn't get much better.

Not bad! I wish we had more hardwoods up here in Utah. You can get hardwoods to grow in your yard, but people seem determined to plane pines. I have no idea why, they don't even make good shade trees.

~Rose

great score ...... maybe next time you can get it delivered !!

Tony H said:
great score ...... maybe next time you can get it delivered !!

Now your talking! Heck they may as well stack it for you too and bring in your house when you need to reload too lol..

Ray

That is very impressive.

That's freaking "A".

Status
Not open for further replies.