Best EPA Certified Wood Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Nov 17, 2008
NJ
I have a split level home with about 2000 sq. ft. I am looking into installing a fireplace of some sort. Still on the fence between gas and wood, but leaning towards wood for the the real fire feel, and cost of fuel over time. My home doesn't currently have any fireplace so in either case all venting will need to be built. It will be placed on an exterior wall in the living room of the mid level which is the main living space, and is open to the dining room and kitchen, all of which have cathedral ceilings. Bedrooms are upstairs immediately opposite where the fireplace would be. So far, I have found the Lennox Villa Vista to be the most attractive of the EPA fireplaces I have seen, and to me looks matter about as much as heat. Either way it is going to be a large expense so I want to make sure I am happy with it. Can anyone recommend any similarly attractive, EPA fireplaces and give me any tips regarding installation/construction. Thanks

There are hundreds of posts here about zero-clearance fireplaces. Search for names like Kozy-Heat, BIS, FPX and Quadrafire 7100.

Download the stove manual for a good installation guide. Also, here's an article for replacing an old ZC fireplace with a new one. It will point out some of the mistakes that can be made and has good graphics.

http://www.jlconline.com/public/articles/2003/0311/0311repl.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.