Best Fire ever today, but

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
I think I may have accidentally overfired my stove.
I get home from work, pre-loaded the stove last night because the temps here were supposed to drop and rain all day, and lit her up.
Did my usual routine from last year, lit the paper, left door ajar until the load was roaring. Closed the door.
I put my Rutland thermometer on the stove top, where the fan exhuast comes out, and watched her climb. As she approached what looked to be the Overfire mark, I turned out the lights and saw a faint red glow on the top of the stove. I immediately shut the air down and set the fan to high. The glowing stop after a few minutes.
I hope no damage was done from this.
I guess I picked up bad habits from last year because of the crappy wood I got stuck buying. This year I have a good supply, and need to re-learn the start up process.

I'm assuming you had your Rutland thermometer stuck in the little space where the air comes out, directly on top of the firebox, not on the top surface of the unit where you might put a teapot. It's hard to imagine that surface ever reaching "Overfire" temps. since it doesn't have any direct conductive heat path to the firebox.

I really don't have any experience with the box glowing, but I'll venture a guess that as long as it was only faintly glowing, and you didn't hear any awful noises during heat up/cool down, and you have no obvious signs of cracks or warpage (like the door close feeling different, for example), and the unit seems to run as normal on your next fire, then you probably caught it before damage was done. Again. . .just a guess. Better watch it close on the next fire to make sure nothing has changed.

Did you get your IR thermometer yet?

-Jim

BTW, with my new, actually seasoned wood, I find that I only need to leave the door open for a couple of minutes before I close it. Then only 5-10 minutes before I can close the damper down 50% or more. Once I am at the 50% mark, the risk of a runaway seems to be very low. But I usually stick around until I get it 3/4 closed just to be sure.

Startup is definitely faster and easier than with last year's damp wood. It's really nice not to have to hang around for 10-20 minutes or more waiting to close the door fully. That's risky because I am always tempted to run out of the room for some odd job or errand, and I am the type who might get sidetracked and forget about the stove. So I never leave the stove unattended with the door open, or the damper full open.

-Jim

egclassic said:
I think I may have accidentally overfired my stove.
I get home from work, pre-loaded the stove last night because the temps here were supposed to drop and rain all day, and lit her up.
Did my usual routine from last year, lit the paper, left door ajar until the load was roaring. Closed the door.
I put my Rutland thermometer on the stove top, where the fan exhuast comes out, and watched her climb. As she approached what looked to be the Overfire mark, I turned out the lights and saw a faint red glow on the top of the stove. I immediately shut the air down and set the fan to high. The glowing stop after a few minutes.
I hope no damage was done from this.
I guess I picked up bad habits from last year because of the crappy wood I got stuck buying. This year I have a good supply, and need to re-learn the start up process.

I've had this happen on a reload where i pack the stove on top of coals. All I can say is keep your eye on the stove during the start or reload. I wouldn't worry because you caught it in time and did the right thing, (shut the air and blower on high). This is overkill but you may want to do this. When the stove cools down, take the top surround off and then take the top shelf off. This will give you a good view of the stove top. Look and see if the stove top may have warped a little. A little is not an issue. I did this on mine to confirm everything looks good. Look at the weld seams and make sure everything looks ok.

Only a faint glow and you shut it down immediately I doubt there will be a problem but do keep a close eye on the stove for the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.