Best fire wood is "Gottenwood" ? picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
The best fire wood to have is "Gottenwood"
Here's a picture of my "Gottenwood" I got this winter. (don't know how much is there over 10 cords anyway)
I may not get much more (unless some easy stuff pops up) this summer,
too many other things need to get done. The 3 "G"s Garden - Greenhouse - Golf
Then Fishing & Hunting. Oh yea, build a woodshed too. :)
Have been rounding up some pallets, stacked behind wood.
May wait till fall & at the State fair look for a new chain saw, get good deals then.
My GOTTENWOOD photo:

Attachments

• 100_4620.jpg
    100_4620.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 563
You got a bit more time until the ice is off those lakes and golf courses are not boggin Dave. ;-)
Im heading out on Saturday to pull some lake trout through the ice. 4 ft now on most lakes. +8c in the afternoons and -10c at night. Nice pile of wood by the way.

You're right.
BUUUUT, the top of the ground thaws during the day & is greasy & slick.
Somebody has to be the one to let everybody know the ice is to soft & thin, NOT ME (happens every year here)
We didn't get but 2-1/2 to 3 feet of ice this year, good snow cover early helped.
I'm more close to the salt water & we had 2 "break-ups" this winter & avg. temps this year were a few degrees warmer.
Coldest this year was -20°f & only for a few days.
50° f today, sunny & south wind. Rained a little yesterday, My Yard is a lake. Side roads muddy, rutty mess. Lakes all have overflow
Creeks started to open up.
Fish-Hook 9 hole golf course to open this weekend, no snow there, it all blows away,

I planted tomatoes in the GH yesterday

Attachments

• 100_4615.jpg
    100_4615.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 513
Nice stacks ya got there!!

Nice stack o' wood there BogyDave.

bogydave said:
The best fire wood to have is "Gottenwood"
Here's a picture of my "Gottenwood" I got this winter. (don't know how much is there over 10 cords anyway)
I may not get much more (unless some easy stuff pops up) this summer,
too many other things need to get done. The 3 "G"s Garden - Greenhouse - Golf
Then Fishing & Hunting. Oh yea, build a woodshed too. :)
Have been rounding up some pallets, stacked behind wood.
May wait till fall & at the State fair look for a new chain saw, get good deals then.
My GOTTENWOOD photo:

doesnt look like 10 cords....just measure it you will know for sure.

Where does Gottonwood sit on the BTU scale? If it's anything like Cottonwood you'll probably need a few more cords.

;-)

Dave, I enjoyed the State Fair up there. You may be right about picking up some sale prices there. Good luck.

Your ground is a bit greasy. Out east they are flooded. Here in Michigan we are extremely dry. Fire warnings all over the place and with the windy weather it does not look too good the next few days. On the bright side, farm work has begun. I've seen several fields worked in the last 2 days. Of course in some areas they have already planted sugar beets but those have to get into the ground very early as they need a long growing season. Michigan's Thumb region is the largest area for growing beets but some are also grown where we live.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, I enjoyed the State Fair up there. You may be right about picking up some sale prices there. Good luck.

Your ground is a bit greasy. Out east they are flooded. Here in Michigan we are extremely dry. Fire warnings all over the place and with the windy weather it does not look too good the next few days. On the bright side, farm work has begun. I've seen several fields worked in the last 2 days. Of course in some areas they have already planted sugar beets but those have to get into the ground very early as they need a long growing season. Michigan's Thumb region is the largest area for growing beets but some are also grown where we live.

It has stayed cold/cool so long down here that the local Watermelon growers did not plant this year.......the crop needs to be ready to ship by early/mid June to make the 4th of July market and that means planting by early to mid March. I heard one grower planted just a couple of acres late so at least there would be some local melons for the annual Watermelon Festival in June. My county used to be the Watermelon SEED capital of the world but the process has changed and we no longer produce any seeds....only melons for eating. My first 'real' job was working in the melon fields loading the semi's back when I was 12.

smokinjay said:

I think it does, look at the stack on the three pallets on the end. That's 3 pallets with 2 rows stacked on them so one cord right there if stack 4' high which it appears to be. Using that as a reference point I think say it's 10 cords.

Nice stack of wood bogydave!

ChillyGator said:
Backwoods Savage said:

It has stayed cold/cool so long down here that the local Watermelon growers did not plant this year.......the crop needs to be ready to ship by early/mid June to make the 4th of July market and that means planting by early to mid March. I heard one grower planted just a couple of acres late so at least there would be some local melons for the annual Watermelon Festival in June. My county used to be the Watermelon SEED capital of the world but the process has changed and we no longer produce any seeds....only melons for eating. My first 'real' job was working in the melon fields loading the semi's back when I was 12.

If I remember right, the SE was the coldest spot this winter relative to normal temperature. That is, they had more below normal temperatures than anywhere else in the U.S. So what you write does not surprise me.

Soon to be forgotten wood.

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

I think it does, look at the stack on the three pallets on the end. That's 3 pallets with 2 rows stacked on them so one cord right there if stack 4' high which it appears to be. Using that as a reference point I think say it's 10 cords.

not filling it! lol

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

The front right stack on the 3 pallets is 2 rows of 18" splits a little over 5' high & 12' long

Carbon_Liberator said:
Where does Gottonwood sit on the BTU scale? If it's anything like Cottonwood you'll probably need a few more cords.

;-)

I thought "Gottenwood" increased in BTUs as it sits there & dries out. "More drier" wood burns more efficient, so effective BTUs that are released into the house
increase daily as it dries.
So to measure the BTUs today by wood type, would be a start, BUT this fall, the "effective BTUs" will be more. As do the burn method, stove type & weather.
Does that make sense.
Maybe it's a big circle & I don't have the concept down well enough to complete the circle.
Maybe cabin fever makes me ramble on about nothing.

I still know "Gottenwood" is the best fire wood. The reasons don't matter.

Serious note: 80% birch & 20% white spruce. 10 - 15 cords there
Alaska birch 23.6 M-btu/cord
White spruce 18.1 M btu/cord.
= lots of "gotten" heat :) stored & not yet released into the house.

PS: I'll get round to finding out how much is there when I have to move it, one more time into the future woodshed.
It's stacked so haphazard & how much is there don't matter too much, it is what it is & it's "GOTTEN" :)

Dave, your "gotten" wood has "gotten" me inspired to go the woods and cut something. Matter of fact, I did that a couple days ago.
I've got "gottenwood" too, it's just that it was "gotten" from a local forester. :cheese:

Don't matter how it was Got, once it's "Gotten" it's the best :) lol

Waiting to see your "gottenwood" in your new wood shed.
Watching to see if I need to plan for problems you encounter & resolve while building.

bogydave said:

Watching to see if I need to plan for problems you encounter & resolve while building.

I'm waiting too.
My brother keeps telling me, "It's just a woodshed". Blasphemy!!

PapaDave said:
bogydave said:

I'm waiting too.
My brother keeps telling me, "It's just a woodshed". Blasphemy!!

Trust me . . . it's not "just a woodshed" . . . there is a real good feeling of contentment when you have a woodshed built . . . matched and surpassed only when you have that woodshed full of seasoned wood. Seeing all of the wood under cover and knowing you don't have to deal with tarps or stand out in the snow and rain while you hand pick what wood you want to burn -- shoulder season wood, smaller stuff, bigger stuff . . . yeah, it's a great feeling.

Heck, sometimes I'll wander out to my woodshed and just hang out there for a bit . . . my cat Teddy does too . . . but that's just because he's looking for mice and wondering how he can get to the squirrels scampering over the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.