Best Fireproof Backing for Masonry Wall Shield with Air Gap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovation

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
SW MI near Saugatuck
Hi Folks,

I'm amusing myself designing my stove installation, and I'm thinking of using a fireproof masonry wall (brick or stone) with an air gap behind it as a triple-threat shield/thermal mass/convector. I'm wondering, what would be the best thing to back it with, that would ensure the minimum 1" air gap? Would the correct gauge sheet metal on ceramic spacers be best, or is there something else that would be better, for example the masonry might adhere to better?

I suppose metal might have a different thermal expansion rate than stone too, and that might cause the stone to separate? I'm wondering if there's a wall board type choice, but my searches on here haven't turned up anything.

All the Best,

George

I see more people doing this air space thing, Do you think this gives you much more clearance tolerance? look at this members spacers he used 1'' copper pipe..."spendaviscpa"

Cement board.

RAMSAY said:
I see more people doing this air space thing, Do you think this gives you much more clearance tolerance? look at this members spacers he used 1'' copper pipe..."spendaviscpa"

Hi Ramsay,

Thanks for the copper tip. I think something non-conductive to heat, such as ceramic would be better. Ceramic spacers are cheap, and places like NorthLineExpress have them.

Yes, wall shields with at least a 1" airspace behind, vented top and bottom, give as much as 2/3 clearance reduction, if done correctly.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.woodheat.org/safety/safeinstallation.htm

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Now that I reread it, I see that the second article says:

"The shield can be constructed of sheet metal, copper, Wonderboard, cement board with tile attached, or masonry such as brick. "

Oops! Dang that short-term memory loss. :red:

It's the second thing to go, ya know.

Sorry to waste your time BeGreen, and thanks for the help. I hope someone else finds this useful.

All the Best,

George

Status
Not open for further replies.