This year I've had more problems than ever with cold air flowing down the chimney when the stove is cold. For our upstairs stove, installing and outside air intake resolved the problem with smokey starts. In our basement stove, without an OAK, I've filled the room with smoke at least four times. I've tried burning newspaper on top of the baffle (works for mild cases but not with strong downdrafts) and using a hair dryer to warm the stove pipes (not bad, but too slow) but still watched the paper die out and smoke roll out of every air vent and crack. Last year, I recall someone suggesting burning some loose newspaper in the chimney clean out. I had the clean out blocked with wood last year and couldn't test this until this year. For me, this worked better than anything else I've tried. When I placed two burning pieces of loose newspaper in the clean out, I could hear air rushing up the chimney. Before the paper burnt out, I ran back inside and lit the newspaper in the stove. The good draft continued and I didn't fill the room with smoke. If you have the cold chimney syndrome, this is well worth your time to try. Thank you to the people who suggested this and good luck to those who try it.