Best fuel for a Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radiodjs

Aug 27, 2008
Dover, NH
Hi everybody!

I just bought a Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 Insert.

Now, I am trying to figure out what the best fuel to burn is?

What is the best brand? The best ratio of hard to soft wood?

Should I consider a wood-corn blend?

And who should I buy it from? I'm in Dover, NH.

I have two and for the most part love them.

I would not recommend a corn/pellet blend as with corn you need to clean it a great deal more often.

I don't know the fuel providers in NH but suggest go with the best for a high quality burn

Asking which pellet is best is like asking which car is best... way too subjective.

I'll get some who disagree but softwoods generally burn hotter with less ash. Burn straight pellets... corn produces lots of clinkers and acids that can eat away at you vent.

The main thing is keeping your stove clean... not just where you can see the ash but where you CAN'T see the ash. Read up on the MANY posts about cleaning your stove.

I like to think of my CB1200 as being like a revolver. An old cop once told me about revolvers... "You could put pizza in there and it would still fire"

My CB1200 has only missed an ignition once this season and that was after neglecting to pull the pot cleaning lever for a few days. I do not screen my pellets and it eats up the sawdust without a complaint. My pellets have relatively few fines (maybe 1 cup per bag average) but I think even if there was a lot more fines it would still eat 'em right up. I am glad that I bought a "top feeder" as it seems to have a lot less trouble than I see from the "bottom feeder" crowd. Hopefully my good fortune will last (knocks on wood).

Unfortunately this is my first pellet stove and I have only ever burned one brand of pellets so you may wish to ignore my opinions due to lack of experience.

My pellets are Hamer's Hot Ones from the Elkins Plant (100% oak). I bought them in June for $245/ton (4 tons) + delivery. My local dealer is sold out of this brand "for the season" so you probably won't be able to find any until at least the end of the season...

Status
Not open for further replies.