Best fuel for XXV / Source in Southern Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exiledgator

Sep 23, 2011
Maine
n00by here, so be gentle.

We just had a brand spankin' new XXV installed this summer and for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to winter. ;)

My dealer/installer suggested burning premium softwood (Okanagan specifically). Is softwood that much preferable for this stove, and if so, is the Okanagan cost effective v other softwood brands?

Also, I live in Southern Maine and am curious about pellet retailers. So far, I've called:
- Southern Maine Renewable Fuels (Wells)
- SIB (Jay)
- Home Depot (Portland)
- Lowes (Scarborough)
- Paris Farmers Union (Portland)
- Tractor Supply (Scarborough)
- 2 local hardware stores

Am I missing any good ones?

Thanks in advance for any info!

You might try your local Blue Seal Feeds and Needs stores and any local building supply places.

Don't forget stove shops that sell pellet stoves.

Thanks, Smokey. I don't know why I didn't call my Harman dealer; they have Okanagans for $265 - picked up. I'm thinking I'll grab 2 tons of these and 1 ton of 'cheaper' stuff and see what the difference is.

Is softwood really the way to go w/ XXV's?

<>Is softwood really the way to go w/ XXV's?<>

You won't know til you burn some. I've burned hard & soft wood in Harmans for
the last 6 years & depending on the quality of the pellet, I'd choose the softwoods.
They seemed to burn hotter & more thoroughly (less fly-ash) & I was able to run
my P43 for 4 weeks, instead of 3, before I hadda empty the ash pan.
The infamous Harman "speedbump" was significantly reduced as well...
Cleanfire's softwood were EXCELLENT last year, but they've gone to a pellet mill
that's uncertified by the American Biomass (http://www.americanbiomass.com/)
& they may NOT be the same quality.
But, your Harman is less finicky & more forgiving when it comes to pellet quality than
the top feed units are. Any clinkers that are formed in the burnpot
will get pushed out by the incoming (underfed) pellets, instead of being blown out by the
combustion air.
Bottom line (& EVERYONE here will tell you the same thing is) maintenance.
Keep your stove clean & it will keep you warm & happy.

Not sure where you live exactly but Maine Pellet Sales in Lisbon Falls.

I called the guy up recently and he seemed real good. Chatted for a few minutes about different pellets and what he had for a stove.

http://www.mainepelletsales.com/pellets/

Status
Not open for further replies.