Best handsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
HI Guys,

It is that time of the year again. Sorting out my gear before the fall cutting and splitting season.

Here is my question:

For a small branch here and there, I don't feel it is worth firing up the 346XP and donning all the safety gear. I would much rather cut it by hand.

I have one of those Fiskars orange bow saws ($15 at HD) but halfway through the branch the cut starts to veer left and right and I end up with a crooked cut. Plus the handle is not very comfortable.

I want to upgrade to a better (or the best) handsaw for branches up to 4 inches or so. What do you use or what would you suggest?

I saw some of those curved hand saws at the Woodmen's field days in Boonville, NY (some Japanese brand) and they were around $70. I had never heard of the brand, so I didn't want to experiment and just get it.

Let me know

CarpNiels

If the branches are green I think a bow saw is your best bet. Most bowsaws cut on both the push and pull stroke and have a very aggressive tooth pattern and set. I don't think you'll find a faster hand saw for wet wood. If the blade on your cuts crooked, get a new blade- they're cheap enough. if the wood is dry then it's a different matter. In that case you might want to go with a Japanese style saw with a finer tooth pattern.

I use the Fiskars 30" bowsaw quite often. I'm on my third saw, but in Fiskars's defense they honor their lifetime warranty. They've sent replacements out very fast both times and without any questions.

I wouldn't want to invest in a more expense saw since I have a tendency to loose my smaller equipment when I'm working in the woods.

Josh

I have a cordless sawsall with a very coarse blade for trees.

I picked up a couple of bow saws of diff lengths at garage sales over the years and think there really handy esp if your up in a tree and want to trim something close to the house. I don't know the brand...they have to be 40 years old or so.

I've been really pleased with this Corona hand saw that, I believe, can be purchased from Home Depot for about $20.

medium.jpg

Is it the best arborist hand saw that man has ever seen? Of course not. But it is a very good go-to saw at a great price, and I've used mine (I have a few of them) for pruning trees, cutting lumber, and I keep one in my vehicle recovery kit along with a machete and ax when venturing far away from civilization; it also doubles as a nice camp saw, too.

I also have their folding version, and am not impressed with it - too flexy at the hinge. Nice for trail clearing when used along with a chainsaw slung over your shoulder for the big stuff and the folding saw in your pocket, or in a pack when mountain biking, but if you don't absolutely need the folding attribute, skip it!!

Here it is for sale online:
http://www.orchardsedge.com/order1.jsp?code=RS-7395&referer;=/tools.jsp?brand=corona&type=handsaws

HI Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I did a little search on baileys and the ones I saw on the show were the Silky's. Apparently they are the best around at a steep price.

Since I don't cut that much, but would like a decent tool, I am going to check out computerusers recommendation. From his other posts, I gather he knows a lot about wood cutting equipment (chain saws and such) so if this saw is good enough for him, it is good enough for me.

I really liked Oliver's recommendation (the cordless sawzall) but that might be expensive for just a few branches here and there)

Thanks for all help.

CarpNiels

Status
Not open for further replies.