1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best Hearth Rug

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Cate68, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Cate68

Cate68 Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions on the best material for hearth rugs... I see ones made of wool, fiberglass and nylon. It seems that fiberglass would be most resilient to scorch marks. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these materials?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Whatever you get plan... on them getting pretty beat up with hot coals and wood sheddings etc. We get the basic offering from the local hearth store. Next purchase will be whatever the dogs like best.
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Are you protecting a wood floor or carpet?
  4. Cate68

Cate68 Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    The rug will protect part of the hearth, which is ceramic tile, and carpet... I'm more concerned with protecting the carpet and finding a rug that doesn't scorch easily. I rarely have any coals pop out, but just in case...
  5. Renovation

Renovation New Member

Loc:
    SW MI near Saugatuck
    I remember seeing one online hearth store that had non-combustible fiberglass hearth blankets for that purpose, but I've forgotten the source.
  6. TheGriz

TheGriz Member

Loc:
    Candler, NC
    I have a wool rug in front of my hearth. I had one coal fall out and scorch it. Not the best setup, but protects the wood floors and I can always buy another rug. Just be careful that a coal doesn't pop out that you don't notice.
  7. Retreadsme

Retreadsme Member

Loc:
    NW TN
    Many places have fiberglass hearth rugs, here is one: http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Hearth-Rugs. If you are sensitive to fiberglass (as when handling fiberglass insulation) one of these may not be to your liking. They are NOT as irritating as insulation, but can create an "itch". I placed a wool rug over mine after experiencing the itch on bare legs.
  8. spur0701

spur0701 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    I use a wool area rug that I picked up from Lowes, it was about $60 but was very large, 4'X8'......it seems to work a lot better than the olafin (nylon) one that it replaced which melted when anything hot hit it.
  9. Cate68

Cate68 Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Great advice everyone - thanks!
  10. Fake coal burner

Fake coal burner Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City Utah
    Fiber glass hearth rug will melt when hot coal lands on it. What ever you chose in a hearth rug. Keep a spray bottle of water with in reach and give it a shot.
  11. Renovation

Renovation New Member

Loc:
    SW MI near Saugatuck
    Thanks FCB, great idea.