Best Hearth Rug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate68

Dec 7, 2010
Akron, OH
Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions on the best material for hearth rugs... I see ones made of wool, fiberglass and nylon. It seems that fiberglass would be most resilient to scorch marks. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these materials?

Whatever you get plan... on them getting pretty beat up with hot coals and wood sheddings etc. We get the basic offering from the local hearth store. Next purchase will be whatever the dogs like best.

Are you protecting a wood floor or carpet?

pen said:
Are you protecting a wood floor or carpet?

The rug will protect part of the hearth, which is ceramic tile, and carpet... I'm more concerned with protecting the carpet and finding a rug that doesn't scorch easily. I rarely have any coals pop out, but just in case...

Cate said:
Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions on the best material for hearth rugs... I see ones made of wool, fiberglass and nylon. It seems that fiberglass would be most resilient to scorch marks. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these materials?

I remember seeing one online hearth store that had non-combustible fiberglass hearth blankets for that purpose, but I've forgotten the source.

I have a wool rug in front of my hearth. I had one coal fall out and scorch it. Not the best setup, but protects the wood floors and I can always buy another rug. Just be careful that a coal doesn't pop out that you don't notice.

Many places have fiberglass hearth rugs, here is one: http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Hearth-Rugs. If you are sensitive to fiberglass (as when handling fiberglass insulation) one of these may not be to your liking. They are NOT as irritating as insulation, but can create an "itch". I placed a wool rug over mine after experiencing the itch on bare legs.

I use a wool area rug that I picked up from Lowes, it was about $60 but was very large, 4'X8'......it seems to work a lot better than the olafin (nylon) one that it replaced which melted when anything hot hit it.

Fiber glass hearth rug will melt when hot coal lands on it. What ever you chose in a hearth rug. Keep a spray bottle of water with in reach and give it a shot.

Fake coal burner said:
Fiber glass hearth rug will melt when hot coal lands on it. What ever you chose in a hearth rug. Keep a spray bottle of water with in reach and give it a shot.

Thanks FCB, great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.