Best Leafblower for cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
There might already be something on here, but I want to purchase a leaf blower just for cleaning pellet stoves. I have a gas echo that I do not want to use plus from looking at the recent videos posted electric is the way to go. Can anyone direct me to a decent quality brand and where to purchase.

:coolsmile:
Thanks Joe

A few people here have this model found at most Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126753-53393-25193_4294747189_4294937087_?productId=3140771&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Blowers_4294747189_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo;=

I have a Troy Bilt model. Rated at 450 CFM and 240 MPH. Works pretty good has a variable 6 speed motor.

Thanks guys, great info!!! Time to shop now and I will take a video and post it when I am up and running.

This works great for me...... hook it up, turn it on, and start cleaning the stove. virtually no dust or ash gets into the air in the house

Attachments

• IMG-20120306-00251.jpg
    IMG-20120306-00251.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 609
Defiant said:
Thanks guys, great info!!! Time to shop now and I will take a video and post it when I am up and running.

Until then it didn't happen. ;-)

btw, I use a cheapo weedeater brand.

smoke show said:
Defiant said:

:gulp: I use an old Black and Decker blower/vac :lol:

smoke show said:
Defiant said:

I guess you can get carried away, don't need one that will suck dog hair and the dirt I track in out of the house, the wife would go for that though.

Nice. My god when I started burning pellets 17 years ago there was only one brand Energex. Decisions to make now, premium, hardwood, softwood, mixed hard and soft, blowers to make life simple? Is it possible?

Look for one with the maximum CFM (cubic feet minute). The higher the CFM the more ash will be picked up and moved out. A lot of them have a miles per hour rating but their definition of that was ambiguous for mine.

smoke show said:
Defiant said:

I believe they call that The Weedeater-A-Roo if I'm not mistaken!!!

Sorry, new to this, first time I have heard of using a leaf blower. From the pic, I am assuming you are using this to clean the outside vent pipe only?
Any instructions on how to do this? Video?

LMPS said:
Sorry, new to this, first time I have heard of using a leaf blower. From the pic, I am assuming you are using this to clean the outside vent pipe only?

Let me google that for you

j/k...sorry I couldn't resist. :p

LMPS said:

How is your stove vented? Does it go out the side of your house or up a chimney. If up a chimney where are the cleanout "T"s. Do you have a leaf blower that will vacuum?

Check out the posts in this thread. Should demonstrate the idea.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91704/

It's out the side of the house. Thanks for the help. I have an old electric leaf blower I was going to put on the side of the road for free....guess i have found a new use for it.

ok so never tried the leaf blower thing. was in lowes for something else and passed by the leaf blowers. i tell ya not too many ppl impulse buy a leaf blower. but i did! i got the one from the link above. its the task force.
it doesnt fit quite right on my 3" vent. its too big. has anyone used that specific leaf blower on 3" vent, and if so what did you use to make a tight seal? i will undoubtedly come up with something but if someone has already been through the trial and error, why not learn from that?

its 3" duravent pellet pipe i have to connect to.

i did try it with a weak seal because i just *had* to create my very own black cloud right then and there :-D and it did pull a lot of stuff out, but it could be better with a tight fit.

Dr.Faustus said:
ok so never tried the leaf blower thing. was in lowes for something else and passed by the leaf blowers. i tell ya not too many ppl impulse buy a leaf blower. but i did! i got the one from the link above. its the task force.
it doesnt fit quite right on my 3" vent. its too big. has anyone used that specific leaf blower on 3" vent, and if so what did you use to make a tight seal? i will undoubtedly come up with something but if someone has already been through the trial and error, why not learn from that?

i did try it with a weak seal because i just *had* to create my very own black cloud right then and there :-D and it did pull a lot of stuff out, but it could be better with a tight fit.

Just posted this pic in another thread. I used a 4" to 3" reducer. I cut the suction end of the leafblower down until the PVC 4" to 3" reducer fit. Then I used Liquid Nails to seal it all up. It barely fits over the pipe (1/2"). But I put some tape on it and seal it up 100%.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 378
I had to come up with a way to use the leaf blower upside-down, since my setup has cleanout-T with a short rise. I bought a 4†to 3†DWV pvc adapter at HD which was a snug “fit†into the vacuum side (secured it with some Gorilla tape). From there, a short length of 3†pvc into a 3†by 3†neoprene coupler which seals nicely around the 3†diameter vent pipe. You can kind of see the hose clamps on the neoprene couple in this pic.

Attachments

• LBT2.jpg
    LBT2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 334
Dr.Faustus said:

I bought the same one for 3 in vent. I just used a couple of wraps of duct tape to seal it up.

Here is the unit I just purchased for $59.98, looked at all of them including a cheap $28 green thing that the latch broke off when I was checking it out. Thanks for all the input gonna try it out later.

Attachments

• 100_2378.jpg
    100_2378.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 301
Status
Not open for further replies.