Best Lighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
You know, I just realized yesterday that i've had the same lighter, a Calico Hot Shot 2 - Flexible since September/October. These disposable type lighters usually last about a month if that.

A propane torch works well to.

I don't have to use it much.
The last fire I lit was on halloween... but it was still burning this morning. :)

Reactions: Soundchasm
single_greenlight.gif

Lasts me about 2 winters and I am no 24/7 burner.

Three pack of blue diamond wooden matches, 300 per box, 900 total for $7. Used 1/3 of one box.

Sure the consumption will increase as I start to think about not burning 24/7. Gonna have to learn how to build and light a fire again.

I can just imagine those all over the place as my daughter plays with them. She's very creative, but the mess!

I just use a regular lighter. I pretty much build the load, except for the front. Then I put a couple of small kindling splits in the front, to form a "V." I use a split-in-half Meeco square, lighting them outside the door and placing them in the "V." I add a couple little Pine kindlings and let them get burning good, then load up the rest of the front, and off we go. :)

I like the longer reach of a fireplace/BBQ lighter and I like it to be refillable. Bernzomatic makes these at a reasonable price.

I can just imagine those all over the place as my daughter plays with them. She's very creative, but the mess!

They are sitting on the fireplace mantel. My son could probably get to them by now but he is 8 years old and knows not to play with matches.

image.jpg
I should be good for a few years. I admit, I did use 2 matches this year. ::-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing better then a Bic Lighter. They cost $1 and it's a challenge not to lose it before it wears out.

Status
Not open for further replies.