Best location for temp sensor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlaird

Feb 6, 2021
New England
I'd like to add a thermometer to my Osburn wood stove insert, but will have to use a thermocouple because the stove is set back into the fireplace and the flue is buried. That means I can't locate the sensor even a foot up the pipe, much less the recommended 18". Where would be best? Here's a picture, and the pipe is 6" in diameter.

I'm thinking of using a thermocouple with a washer on the end and screwing it into the collar somewhere to measure surface temps.

Thanks.
Best location for temp sensor?

I have the washer thermal couple. I had it sitting on top of the stove under a piece of iron to hold it in place for a season. It worked well. I moved it to between the collar and the liner last season. More mechanically stable and didn’t fall off like on the top but not really happy with it. Responded to slow. To changes next to my big cast iron outlet. This year I stuffed it up between the insulation and the inner liner of my pre insulated liner. I’m happier with it. Hose clamping it to the liner would be my suggestion treat it like a single wall magnet thermometer maybe. I like being me to read my stovetop with the IR gun too.
Evan.

The thermocouple washer could be slipped under the band of the band clamp for the liner.

Thanks for the ideas - I was figuring I'd have to drill into the liner somewhere, and wasn't sure how to do that both safely and while making it feasible to disconnect the flue. I was envisioning tediously trying to line up tiny holes, which doesn't sound like a good plan.

Clamping it to the liner with the hose clamp that's already there sounds like a good idea. I wonder if there's some sort of thermal paste that would allow even better conduction from the liner to the sensor, but even without that, it probably will respond fairly quickly. Now I just need to find a suitable ungrounded K-type thermocouple to connect to the MAX31855 and an Arduino and I'll have myself a little project to keep me busy for a couple weekends. :)