Best long and narrow stove Jotul 118, Morso 2B or other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stek

Sep 17, 2010
Western WA
I am in the market for a stove for supplemental heat for my open living/dining/kitchen area, which is a round room a little less than 1000 sq ft with a high ceiling. The spot the stove will need to go is long and narrow as it is between two sliding doors (20" wide x 36" deep) so I need a stove that is long and narrow, I prefer something on the tall side too. I have looked at the Jotul 118 Black Bear and the Morso 2B Classic, both would fit well in the space we have and I like the design of both, but have read mixed reviews on both.

This is for supplemental heat, the house has electric heat too and is very well insulated, and our temps don't get much below the 40s most of the year. Just need something to take the chill off on those damp northwest nights. We also have frequent power outages and would love something we could cook/heat water on if needed too. (Have a generator, but it's not wired into the main panel)

Would like to hear your opinions on how well either of these stoves would work for my application, or if you can recommend anything else?

Thanks!!

I don't have any insight on those stoves, but I'll be interested to hear what the experienced guys around here recommend. I'm in the market for a stove as well, for a house in a similar climate (doesn't often get below 40s, but damp and can be windy because it's near the coast). I was looking at a Jotul F3CB for a 375 square foot room, also with high ceilings, but very poorly insulated. So I would guess that my BTU requirements are probably similar to yours. I had been considering the F118 but thought it might be too much stove for that space.

For supplemental heat, of those two, I would lean toward the 2B Standard. The Classic is just for looks, the extra area gives you little in real performance.

Could you post a pic so we can see where it's going? Sticking a stove in between two sliding doors sounds a bit odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.