1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Best looking Direct Vent Fireplace

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by John McDonald, Mar 23, 2013.

1. John McDonald

John McDonald New Member

Loc:
    Gonzales,Louisiana
    I'm getting a house built and my builder is installing a gas fireplace and I just wanted some suggestions on a top of the line fireplace.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It really kinda depends on what you want from a unit. Heat, little heat or no heat.
    There are so many options out there it is hard to say what is the best. The Greenbriar from Mendota is a great unit.

Also look at the Fireplace Extraordinaire from Travis Industries.
  3. John McDonald

John McDonald New Member

Loc:
    Gonzales,Louisiana
    I want heat and high efficiency
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    The question is WAY too subjective, John. You can ask 10 people in here & you will get 10 different answers. Read what you can find on-line. Go to hearth shops, or at least go to the shop that works with your builder, & look at the different models available. Grab some brochures. Once you find a couple that you are waffling over, THEN ask in here. One of us will probably have had experience with anything out there & we can tell you the pluses & minuses of a particular model...The bottom line is that it has to be YOUR decision.
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    And then ask the wife, because her decision is the real right one. ==c

Matt
    eclecticcottage and DAKSY like this.
  6. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    check our Valor products, very very nice flame and faces
  7. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    The Great Pacific North Wet
    The top three gas fireplaces are

1) Mendota
    2) Mendota
    3) Mendota

Nothing is built better, Mendota's flames blow everything else out of the water

Brad
    teutonicking and jotulguy like this.
  8. Jeffrey Cook

Jeffrey Cook New Member

Loc:
    Central Pennsylvania
    You should consider a gas stove instead of the fireplace. I agree with the others that this is subjective, but check out the Jotul website and look at the gas stoves. you have more heat going right into the room without a blower fan. and, maybe at least some potential to warm up a can of beans on top if the power goes out. :)
  9. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    I disagree 80% with you. A good high performance gas fireplace will out do a free standing stove every day of the week. Almost all the heat is radiant heat out through the glass. The blowers only add 3-5% to the efficiency. With higher btu's a good gas fireplace will out heat a free standing unit everyday of the week.

The 20% is heating a can of beans. I have however seen enough melted TV's and candles above mantles to think the fireplace will just take a little longer.

Brad
  10. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    Mendota
  11. DAKSY

Loc:
    Like I said in my first post, the question is subjective, & the answers the OP has received reflect that.
    I've serviced both Valor & Mendota & agree they are fine units, but I haven't seen enough different models to define either one as "The Best Looking." As an installer & sales person, I dealt mostly with Regency & Heat N Glo, with some Enviro & Jotul thrown in the mix & each of THOSE brands have plusses & minuses, but I wouldn't make the statement that one of them was "The Best," either. Once again it's what YOU (or your SO) think looks best in YOUR home. Couple years ago, I installed a HnG 550TRS in a guy's house & he wanted no logs or embers & ABSOLUTELY no yellow flames. Only blue to match his decor. Looked stupid to me, but I've been told (more than once) that all of my taste is in my mouth...
  12. John Gabel

John Gabel Member

I installed a Mendota this last fall. It looks great and has heated the area nicely.
  13. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    Daksy, Regency, Enviro, and Travis, don't copy Mendota because it is the worst looking unit :)
  14. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi John lots of suggestions, lots of fireplaces. Depending on how many bags of money you have to spend.
    For high end units, Mendota and Town & Country are wonderful heating units. Enviro, Heat N Glo, Travis are all great value fireplaces. For budget-minded folks, Napoleon and Heatilator are a couple to look at- altho they have costly, very nice units too. Don't forget the guy setting up the burner has a lot to do with how it looks, adjusting the air shutter (if LP). putting rockwool in strategic areas, the ember stones, that is important too. Good luck looking, lots of good units out there.
  15. mygasfireplacerepair

mygasfireplacerepair Member

Loc:
    Midwest
  16. DAKSY

Loc:

Nice. I'm not a "clean-face" or a herringbone look guy, but that looks really nice.
  17. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    Yawn it's OK for a low end unit. Certainly not up to contemporary standards for high performance gas fireplaces.

Brad
  18. mygasfireplacerepair

mygasfireplacerepair Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Why?