Best Matches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junksta

Oct 13, 2006
Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
Was wondering what matches you all use. Sometimes I agonize over what kind to buy. Are there any studies on hardwood matches vs softwood? The Chinese imports don't seem to light up as well, and to look at their history with fireworks you would think they had a good stick match. The real long matches are neat but it takes so long to burn them down, seems like a waste. Do any of you make your own matches? How many can get out of a cord? I just started reading a book of matches, maybe that will show some light.

junksta said:
Was wondering what matches you all use. Sometimes I agonize over what kind to buy. Are there any studies on hardwood matches vs softwood? The Chinese imports don't seem to light up as well, and to look at their history with fireworks you would think they had a good stick match. The real long matches are neat but it takes so long to burn them down, seems like a waste. Do any of you make your own matches? How many can get out of a cord? I just started reading a book of matches, maybe that will show some light.

Never use matches, so I don't know. Lighters.

Blue Diamond Strike Anywhere- hard to find now, so I buy several boxes when I come across them. I use a dollar-store barbeque lighter to start the stove, though.

Was wondering what matches you all use. Sometimes I agonize over what kind to buy. Are there any studies on hardwood matches vs softwood? The Chinese imports don’t seem to light up as well, and to look at their history with fireworks you would think they had a good stick match. The real long matches are neat but it takes so long to burn them down, seems like a waste. Do any of you make your own matches? How many can get out of a cord? I just started reading a book of matches, maybe that will show some light.

Cute, very cute.

I gotta stop reading hearthnet so early in the morning.... :blank:

I understand there is a new kind of match that comes with summits....only need to use em once.

Ha Ha...now we see what that thin air up there in Pinedale leads to. For the record, I use butane...one of those "aim and flame" long reach lighters. We always have a couple around for candles and the oil lamps anyway.

As for those blue diamond strike anywhere matches...they really do strike almost anywhere. As a kid, I remember going to the local (small town) grocery store one day. As I opened the door I immediately noticed the acrid smell of sulfur in the air and about the same time saw one of my friends (who was a stockboy at the store) go running past me carying a big box with smoke pouring out of every seam. After the excitement was over, he told me that he was getting ready to stock the strike anywhere matches and happened to drop the box off of the cart. Apparently some of the matches struck inside one of the individual match boxes and the heat generated was setting off the other matches inside the big shipping box.

Corey

Warren said:
I gotta stop reading hearthnet so early in the morning.... :blank:

I understand there is a new kind of match that comes with summits....only need to use em once.

***************** ;-)*****************or stronger coffee.

As a kid, I remember going to the local (small town) grocery store one day. As I opened the door I immediately noticed the acrid smell of sulfur in the air and about the same time saw one of my friends (who was a stockboy at the store) go running past me carying a big box with smoke pouring out of every seam. After the excitement was over, he told me that he was getting ready to stock the strike anywhere matches and happened to drop the box off of the cart. Apparently some of the matches struck inside one of the individual match boxes and the heat generated was setting off the other matches inside the big shipping box.

Ha ha! That was me! I did that! Seriously, I used to stock the aisles with the matches. (kitchen supply section) And I dropped (threw) a case of stick-matches. It didn't actually catch on fire, but it sure stunk up the place.

Ahhhh...good times, good times.

You all are great! I've received the equal to a college degree in woodheat from this forum and have no serious concerns or questions. Just thought the only thing that had not been discussed was matches!

In my younger days while walking home from school I had no matches to light up a smoke for the trip home. A friend gave me ½ the striker pad from her match pack and about 6 loose matches. I used one match and left the remaining matches and striker in my pocket. I later went rabbit hunting with a buddy and threw a couple books of matches in my pocket. About an hour later while walking through the woods, I feel this extreme “stinging" sensation on my right inner thigh. My first thought was Bee in the pants! But wait a minute; it’s the middle of winter. I quickly dropped trough and found that the loose matches had rubbed against the striker on one of the books and ignited both books of matches while in my pocket. Hurt like he(( and I still have a nice scar to remind me of this incident.
By the way, will using soft wooden matches cause creosote build-up in my new stove??

BigV said:
In my younger days while walking home from school I had no matches to light up a smoke for the trip home. A friend gave me ½ the striker pad from her match pack and about 6 loose matches. I used one match and left the remaining matches and striker in my pocket. I later went rabbit hunting with a buddy and threw a couple books of matches in my pocket. About an hour later while walking through the woods, I feel this extreme “stinging" sensation on my right inner thigh. My first thought was Bee in the pants! But wait a minute; it’s the middle of winter. I quickly dropped trough and found that the loose matches had rubbed against the striker on one of the books and ignited both books of matches while in my pocket. Hurt like he(( and I still have a nice scar to remind me of this incident.
By the way, will using soft wooden matches cause creosote build-up in my new stove??
LOL ...........Laughing with ya not at ya. :lol: Ya better sweep that chimney a second time this year.

Did you scare the rabbits away as you were screaming, dropping the trough? Warmed you better than my hotseat, actually probably wasn.t that funny at the time huh!

Status
Not open for further replies.