1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Best of collection

Post in 'New Forum Hints and your Questions & Suggestions!' started by tsquini, Jan 10, 2013.

1. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I would like to see a collection of the best threads. Examples, funny, how to, wood science. Maybe Most of all wood ID page with good wood grain and bark photos. Obviously, I am will to help supply photos.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    No! There are enough five year old threads dredged up with just an "I agree." reply as it is.
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    or you can just pretty much search for my user name and find the best posts ever.
    Thistle, MasterMech, raybonz and 4 others like this.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

[​IMG]

;):p
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    For some reason I go through batteries on a weekly basis.

Attached Files:

Danno77 likes this.
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Actually, I am considering some things along these lines.........here are some of them....

1. Special star ratings of certain threads - we could have a crew of 20 or so of the regulars who get to determine these......

2. Picture Showcases, galleries, attachment managers....
    There are a number of options for these types of things......today I was thinking about the Showcase:
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/showcase.1208/
    This allows each user to, for instance, post a set of pics and some descriptions about their finest efforts.....this is obviously user-controlled and not like #1 above.

3. Not exactly related, but they just came up with an "attachment manager", which allows each member to see and manage their attachments - so you can reuse them, etc.
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/wmtech-attachment-manager.1364/

Of course, we already have "bookmarks" here.........which allows each user to store the links they find most useful. Maybe there is a way to make those public if the user wants to???
    FrankMA likes this.
  8. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
  9. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am not getting how #2 is different than starting a new thread.
  10. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I think it's not time related and is always "there" in the members profile, etc....not buried. It also has that tabbed description and setup - so in some ways it's like allowing the user to set up his own picture mini-blog.
    Sure, a thread COULD do somewhat of the same, but not as pretty and other people can mess with it more....

Oh, in terms of the bookmarks....here is one example. I just set the options so you all can share whichever bookmarks you like!
    So now Danno can bookmarks his best threads :) and decide which to share - and, then put a link to them in his sig (although a link will always show on his profile page).

Example:
    go to:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/account/bookmarks

And if you have bookmarks you can hit the button on the left to toggle back between private and public.
    Then, on your profile page (mine here)
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/members/webbie.2/
    there is a tab for bookmarks with my public links!

It's something.......for those who aspire to greatness. I'll see if I can make that directly accessible...because now you have to click the Bookmarks tab once you go to the profile page.
  11. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Now I understand the distinction.

I don't book mark since I already know everything.:p;lol
    Delta-T likes this.
  12. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yeah, that showcase allows, in theory, members to really have their own content within the forum.

Heck, Jags, you've been around here long enough to know that good threads can get messed up! This way - when someone has an ongoing project that they don't want a lot of back and forth on - they can document (showcase) it.....
  13. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Actually, I like the idea. Kinda like when I did my small splitter build (thread). That might have been a nice feature.
  14. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Does that include the ones that show how to transport a chain saw without cutting your carotid arteries?
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Ts, does that answer your question for starters?

That is, you can use the bookmarks feature to mark some of the top threads (in your opinion) and then make those bookmarks public - and even link to them in your sig.

The nice thing about that systems is that if we ever do a more global system, we can start by looking at those our members have chosen.
  16. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I get the bookmark idea. That can work well. I like the idea of community bookmarks. One thing mentioned earlier is managing uploaded images. A lot of the same question come up, so either you post the old threat or reshare the image. I typically just reshare the image.
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Top 20 posters ?

This would be fantastic for hearth builds, gearhead projects, look at my woodstack photo threads, etc.

I personally would love to have a way to organize/recall photos I've uploaded in the past. There are some that I tend to reuse frequently (or try to) if I can find them. :confused:
  18. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Hmm, so it appears folks might use all of these tools!

I'll try the attachment manager first - then maybe the showcase.
    Maybe we can get the star ratings going over the slow season, when I will be making the bigger updates anyway.
  19. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Hmmm, does this thing work?
    Do the rest of you have the "My Attachments" button down and to the right?
    [​IMG]
  20. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep. I see it. It appears to have imported (or gathered) a bunch of my last pic posts, as well.

437 of them.;em
  21. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I have 417 items. 5 of them are interesting. ;lol
  22. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Anyone who wants to test out a feature where you post a "project", let me know by conversation.....it's just a test, so you don't have to make it perfect. You could post pics of something topical (wood shed construction) or off-topic (DIY thingy, hobby thingy).