best online chainsaw buys?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Looking to get a mid size saw in the 300-350 range. Ive seen some online shops listed here but forgot to write them down. Any suggestions

I just ordered the Husky 359 from these guys:

http://www.pride-mobility-electric-scooters.com/p_husqvarna_chainsaw_chain_saw.htm

Seem to be pretty good on price, and the guy I spoke to on the phone on Saturday was very helpful.

I went with them based on Roospike's recommendations in other posts.

Ironically, your post to one of my threads was what got me started looking for a better saw...I convinced the "finance department" (read: wife) and made the purchase. I hope it works out!

Jason

The 359 is a great all around firewood chainsaw with a good power band and a great price for this size of saw . ( 59 cc / 3.9 Hp / 12.1 lbs )

normally fitted with a 20" bar 18"-20" is about right for the power and balance. The saw can also be fitted with up to the 24" bar.

* Note I would wait until after the break in period of 10 tanks of gas before fitting the 24" bar on the saw for maximum power and proper break in.

jason1238 got a good deal at a popular well known on line seller. ( see his posted link )

I have bought on line from Wise Generators and Power Equipment. Ebay name: jilz1
Wise Power Equipment is a Husqvarna dealer and i haven't had any trouble with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chainsaws-Husqv...ryZ79666QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Wise-...pmentQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ38428375QQsofpZ0

Thanks thats looking for.

The dealer above has raised the price listed on their website back up to the suggested retail price... but when you click on "Add to cart" you get the discounted price...

Ha - that 'electric scooter' link looks surprisingly like:

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm#359

In fact, once I looked at the saws on electric scooter, the links on the southwest fastener site were already purple, like they had already been visited...same price on both 'sites', too.

I bought my 350 from this outfit, also bought a 346 for the stepbrothers wedding present. Best deal I could find, not to mention the free stuff, damage free shipping and quick delivery was my experience.

Corey

Check Amick's http://www.amickssuperstore.com/

They treated me right on a Dolmar 5100 ... It's a lightwieght powerhouse! My other saws think I've left town, they never see me!

ATB,
Mike P

So I was thinking about getting the Dolmar 5100 S with a 16" bar I havea Stihl MS310 with a 20". The Dolmar is 2 pounds lighter. Or should I get a smaller saw?

johnsopi said:
So I was thinking about getting the Dolmar 5100 S with a 16" bar I havea Stihl MS310 with a 20". The Dolmar is 2 pounds lighter. Or should I get a smaller saw?

Get the Dolmar 5100 , get rid of the 310 over weight beast and get ya a 70 cc saw like a Husqvarna 372XP or a shihl 440 (441) and or a Dolmar ps7900 and then you'll have a perfect pair of chainsaws for firewood.

The 310 is a lug and if you get the 5100 you'll never use the 310 again.

Just my 02¢

That what I wanted to hear. It come standard with a 18". Is it worth trying to get it with a 16" or stay with the
18?

johnsopi said:
That what I wanted to hear. It come standard with a 18". Is it worth trying to get it with a 16" or stay with the
18?

I've always run with 18" on the smaller saws just because that what happened to come with them.

If your looking to get a 70cc chainsaw too then a 16" on the smaller saw will work great and run a 24" on the bigger saw. Just about a perfect combo .

I ordered the 5100 with stanard 18" bar from the outdoorequiment company that precaud got his from. 335 + 15 shipping. I'll keep the
MS310 untill I get a 70cc class saw if need one. I rarely cut much that bigger than 20-24 inches anyway. Too heavy to move for the most part. Today I got 2 truck loads of sweetgum that were @ 20". Got about 10 more too get in the next 3 weeks

The 5100s for $335+S/H is a heck of a deal! Did the saw come with 3/8" or .325" chain? Have you swapped out that rubbish safety chain that comes with it? It will likely be fastest with 3/8" and a 7-pin sprocket, at least according to the guys who have tested it with all the different chain and sprocket combinations that they could get to fit.

If you're looking for the ultimate firewood three-saw combo, a Dolmar 401/12" (you absolutely must modify the muffler, though, it is SUPER restricive from the factory), 5100s/16" and a 7900/20" would be the ticket.

It should be here by 3rd or I'm not sure about the chain yet. I'll have to save the rest of my logs for when it gets in.

Outdoor Equipment (as of 3 March) shows $355 + shipping. Must of raised the price $20. Still a good price.

Yup. Always best to buy in the deep off-season. But you're right, it's still a good price. My choice was either a superior saw with accessories (the 5100S) or a Stihl MS260 locally for $469 plus 6.75% tax with nothing thrown in. For $500 I got the 5100S, the excellent grinder from Northern Tools, 12 files and guide, and a couple spare chains. Absolutely no comparison between those deals!

I think johnsopi may have gotten the last Dolmar 5100 at that price. Great timing! I just ordered one at the new price.

The looks like it went up you all get a choice on what chain size you get. I would rather of had the 3/8.

BTW, I just fired up my new 5100S yesterday for the first time. WOW, what an excellent saw! Fast and smooth as silk. I can't wait to get out into the woods with it. Maybe this weekend.

precaud said:
BTW, I just fired up my new 5100S yesterday for the first time. WOW, what an excellent saw! Fast and smooth as silk. I can't wait to get out into the woods with it. Maybe this weekend.

Awesome , you should be able to cut down a bunch of Cactus with that chainsaw!

********************* :lol: **********************

Laughing on your dime precaud , Just kidding buddy . ;-)

If there was a little more info on the 5100 when i bought my 3 new says i would of gave that one a shot. Keep us posted on how she works out ...........Not that i really have a dought she wont scream through wood.

I'm on my 3rd tank of gas though my 5100 runs real good even with the safety chain. A lot quieter then my ms 310 and lighter. The one thing I don't understand is setting the fuel mixture. I hope it was set right a the factory.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.