Best Pellet For England's 25PUF In NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fish1erp

Sep 15, 2009
Central NH
Hi all, noob here, been lurking around for a while while gathering info on my (new to me) pellet stove. I've done a lot of research for this site so far. I got a very fair deal on a 2 year old Englander PUF (Pellet Utility Furnace) 25 on Craig's List. It was well maintained and never needed an auger motor replacement or had any other problems (so far). However the previous owner mostly stated he used "Premium Pellets" which I have learned can run the gamut and mean many things to many different people. I was in HD tonight and looked at what they had for prebuy and all I found were Freedom Fuel and Nature's Earth, both high ash/clinker pellets that may found as cheap and generally undesirable. The PO of the PUF 25 has beat it in my head that the stove needs to be cleaned no less than weekly and I can do that no problem. Does anyone have an idea of the pellet that might work best in this unit? This unit will heat my workshop/barn of 750 sq ft of very well insulated space, 2x6 construction with R19 fiberglass and 5/8" drywall. I will have to put some pink rigid board insulation on the T&G;wood doors for the season. Thanks for the help.

Fisher
2007 England's PUF 25-First Season
Vermont Castings Defiant W/S catalytic

I've been coming back here for a few days now hoping someone saw/responded to the OP, but no luck. OK, so let me rephrase. The England 25-PUF has been replaced by the 25-PAH, so does anyone have a pellet preference for that unit. It's really hard to find good quality pellets such as LG or Lignetics here at a favorable price so I'm wondering if I can step down to a slightly less super-premium brand and get decent BTU performance without extreme ash problems. There has to be someone out there with a similar stove with some real world experience that can shine some light my way. Thanks in advance.

BTU said:
... Be Happy, burn an Okanagan pellet, your stove will thank-you for it......Come on the guy asked, what would you expect me to say???

LOL...BTU, I would expect nothing less. :lol:

BTW, where can I get some Okanagans in my area, the dreaded Hudson Valley of NY? Seriously, I'd love to try some.

NH FisherGuy said:
.... so does anyone have a pellet preference for that unit. It's really hard to find good quality pellets such as LG or Lignetics here at a favorable price.

From what I have been reading, some people prefer a kind, and at the same time others would not! I have an Englander and HD pellets have not been good for me, though some of lowes are ok. I usually try a few bags before I buy a ton.

But if you haven`t already, check out these two threads....

What are the two best pellets you burned in the last year?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41459/

What are the worst two pellets you used in the last year?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41769/

I always buy a few bags of different kinds of pellets before buying them by the ton to see if they work ok in my stoves. Some stoves work great with one pellet and not so great with another. It is a trial an error thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.