Best pellet stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also curious if anyone has heard anything regarding the NPI45.

The wife and I are looking to add another stove in a preexisting fireplace, but we're having a hard time deciding! The m55 is out due to it being a tiny bit to large.

Has anyone bought a Napoleon NPI45 wood pellet insert? A store in our area sells them but Ii haven't heard anything about it.
I've had my Naploeon NPI45 for 2 years. I have a 2400sq ft split level ranch (1400 up & 1000 down). I use 4 tons of pellets per season and I'm saving $1 for every $1 of pellets spent. Filling the hopper takes about a bag and is awkward at best. The opening is small and you need to push the pellets to the rear of the hopper to fill it completely. When the stove is on low you may take too much time filling it and it may go out. You need to be quick. My insert needs to filled at least 2x a day so it doesn't go out and the burn pot needs to be stirred to get rid of ashes at least once a day so the flames stay very energetic. Filling & cleaning takes me about 10 minutes and cleaning the exhaust ports takes another 10 min. every two weeks. I run the insert on #3 out of 5 and the higher you run it the more often you'll need to clean it and "stir the pot". It has one of the bigger bay windows for the stoves I looked at so you can see the fire very easily.
All told, I like heating with pellets better than cordwood (20 years) and I will probably buy a higher end stove (Harman insert) to replace the NPI45 so I can get rid of the shortcomings I've mentioned.
CFProton

Real simple- Harman anything! I really like my P35i's but get what will fit into your fireplace. The new 52i in porcelain is beautiful!

Anything with slide out rails. I hate having to pull mine out to do a good cleaning or maintenance. I like the mt Vernon a lot.

When I went to up grade my insert this year I looked at, did research on, Accentra, Mount Vernon, M55.
I like the design, Qualities, and Looks of the Accentra and couldn't be happier with my decision.
My vote if you want the best . ~~ HARMAN ~~

Reactions: fmsm
Can you comment on the level of noise/quietude of Harman vs QuadraMV? I can't take noise and am not sure which one is better in this regard.

I think Quad and Harman are both right up there in the dankness of pellet stoves. Were it me, I'd get a Quad 1200I but that's just me. I never had any problems with Harmans when I was installing them. Pellet stoves by nature are a bit noisy with 2 blowers and an auger motor in them but it's not bad, they've all come a long way. The Accentra insert is also a VERY nice piece of machinery. The Mt Vernon AE is SUPER quiet.

Hi, currently looking to convert our wood fire place in to a pellet insert. Research both Avalon and Harman, cant decidde what would be the best choice. We live in northeast PA, so our winters tend to get cold, looking to heat approx. 2000 sqft.............Any help is appreciated.Thanks

The rika integra II would be a good choice also or even Austroflamm Integra used.

Cant go wrong with Avalon or Harman. Find a dealer in your area and make sure you give them a good idea of the home layout, insulation values etc. and they should be able set you up with an appropriately sized insert for your needs.

Hi, currently looking to convert our wood fire place in to a pellet insert. Research both Avalon and Harman, cant decidde what would be the best choice. We live in northeast PA, so our winters tend to get cold, looking to heat approx. 2000 sqft.............Any help is appreciated.Thanks
I'm quoting from an admonition that I recently gave to another poster from Scranton. Don't take this as an insult, please. It's just a possible wake-up call. :)

OMG, YOU LIVE IN SCRANTON, for crying out loud!!!!!!! COAL.......COAL.............COAL! $170 a ton in Tamaqua with 50% more heat per pound than pellets! AND you get a stove that puts out twice the btu's of ANY pellet stove! OMG! My brother in law just picked up 4 tons!
Now that's my usual pitch when I see anyone from the coal regions talking about pellet stoves. ==c Seriously, unless you want to single handedly save the earth (the Chinese sure aren't and they are burning OUR coal), you need to look closely at the beautiful coal stoves, some of which are stokers, being made and sold all around you. If I were living back up there, I'd have another coal stove in an instant! No worries with outside storage. Just as clean as pellets if you treat the handling of the ashes properly. Just not the same as the big monsters we remember in our grandfather's cellar.

http://www.keystoker.com/
http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/
http://www.readingstove.com/
http://www.alaskastove.com/

I disagree with coal being just as clean as pellets. The coal dust(not the ash) ends up everywhere. It is much more fine than pellet dust, thus it carries further/easier, plus it is black so it is far more noticeable. Coal does throw great heat though.

I would look on craigslist for a good used stove, I would look for a Whitfield Advantage II-t, one from the late 90's. You can pick these stove up used in great shape. This was the the number one selling stoves of all time. This will heat your home with no problem. As you can tell by my handle, I'm a big whitfield fan. Just remember with any stove you will have to maintain it.

Yes the best they are!!, few years back local craigslist had them free or some were $200, kickin myself for not getting there fast enough!!

I disagree with coal being just as clean as pellets. The coal dust(not the ash) ends up everywhere. It is much more fine than pellet dust, thus it carries further/easier, plus it is black so it is far more noticeable. Coal does throw great heat though.
Coal dust should not be a problem at all if you keep it slightly wet. It should be wet when it's delivered. That's how THEY keep the dust down. Wet coal in no way hinders its ability to burn. That's why you can even store it outside if you want to. It's just not a good excuse to shun away from coal.

One secret you should learn concerning the coal ash dust is to always have a spray bottle of water nearby. As you pull out the ash pan, put a mist of water over the ash. Then there will be no dust as you carry it outside to a suitable receptacle. Also,

One last question for SXIPro would be 'Have you ever burned coal?" If so, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.