best pellets on the market?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so as i posted before,bought a magnum baby countryside stove and would like to buy the best pellets i can get for my money. dexter day will surely help me when choosing a brand of pellets but i would also like to get a general concensis from everyone i possibly can. want a good burning,low ash pellet. i was told by the dealer i purchased the stove from that this particular stove seems to burn corn pellets hotter and better but i am not really interested in burnin corn,just want a good wood pellet. i realize that maintence is everything when it comes to a complete burn of the pellets and if i know dexter he will never let me hear the end of it if i dont keep my stove as spic and span as his! thank you for all the advice in advance. oh... and locations of stores to buy each band of pellet also,almost forgot that part!

put Cubex on your list, one of the best pellets (if not the best) out there...!!

It seems like as soon as people start talking about how great a pellet is, there soon is a bunch of people who complain the qulaity has gone down (Okies, Barefoot, even the Cubex). I personally love Turman pellets, but they are not available many places.

Here in Northern Ohio we are limited to some of the "better" brands. I.E- Hamers, Okies, Cubex, etc. I seen on Craiglist Some Lignetuic Green labels for $190/ton in Massilion Ohio. Wish I would have seen that before I bought the 5 tons Of Lignetic Presto-Logs. Maybe we need to go on a "Road trip"??

In my area Somersets are great because of the clean pellets. Very low dust. And very very low ash. And if you get your feed rate right, they burn HOT ...

newf lover is correct. The best advice people gave me was to sample different brands that are available in your area. You don't want to buy a big amount only to find out your stove doesn't like them.
Personally I am burning OKIES and found them to be great, but had sampled about 30 bags first last season.

I've heard good reports this years about the Maine Wood Pellets, and if the price was right I might pick a small amount to try.

Blazers, or Noah's Bedding pellets, same thing different bag. Fir pellet, the Castile can go a week on these with only a small clicker to boot. Hot, hot, hot.

Seeing pellets are kind of regional. You can check this list for local manufactorers.

http://www.woodpelletfuel.org/pellet_fuel_manufacturers/#

Contact the local mills and see if they have dealers near you.

Ohio

American Wood Fibers
Circleville, OH (410)-290-8700 Rich Whiting

Pennsylvania

Allegheny Pellet Corp.
Youngsville, PA (814)-563-4358 Ron Leofsky
[email protected]

Wood Pellets Co.
Summerhill, PA (814)-495-9335 Terry Smith

Greene Team Pellet Fuel Company
Garards Fort, PA (724)-966-2166 Emil Galis

Bald Eagle Pellet Co.
Tyrone, PA (814)-684-3600
Dave Reese [email protected]

Barefoot Pellet Company
Troy, PA (570)-297-1297 Tim McClure
[email protected]

Energex Pellet Fuel, Inc.
Mifflintown, PA (800)-373-5538 Darryl Rose
[email protected]

PA Pellets, LLC
Ulysses, PA (814)-848-9970 Rhonda Morehouse
[email protected]

Penn Wood Products, Inc.
East Berlin, PA (717)-259-9551 Brian Markle
[email protected]

j-takeman said:
Seeing pellets are kind of regional. You can check this list for local manufactorers.

http://www.woodpelletfuel.org/pellet_fuel_manufacturers/#

Contact the local mills and see if they have dealers near you.

Ohio

American Wood Fibers
Circleville, OH (410)-290-8700 Rich Whiting

Pennsylvania

Allegheny Pellet Corp.
Youngsville, PA (814)-563-4358 Ron Leofsky
[email protected]

Wood Pellets Co.
Summerhill, PA (814)-495-9335 Terry Smith

Greene Team Pellet Fuel Company
Garards Fort, PA (724)-966-2166 Emil Galis

Bald Eagle Pellet Co.
Tyrone, PA (814)-684-3600
Dave Reese [email protected]

Barefoot Pellet Company
Troy, PA (570)-297-1297 Tim McClure
[email protected]

Energex Pellet Fuel, Inc.
Mifflintown, PA (800)-373-5538 Darryl Rose
[email protected]

PA Pellets, LLC
Ulysses, PA (814)-848-9970 Rhonda Morehouse
[email protected]

Penn Wood Products, Inc.
East Berlin, PA (717)-259-9551 Brian Markle
[email protected]

^ J-takeman is The Man...

in my stove somersets
try a few different brands
you're stove will tell you
which ones it likes
some better than others

Buy a Harman and put in whaterver is the cheapest ! Actually the best premimum pellets I have ever used are Dry Creek, but I'd rather put in stove chow for 189.00/ton than Dry Creek for 275.00/ton.

thanks for the info guys,i will try some diff brands and let you know what the ol girl likes the best

Spruce Pointe, if you can find them.

newf lover said:
It seems like as soon as people start talking about how great a pellet is, there soon is a bunch of people who complain the qulaity has gone down (Okies, Barefoot, even the Cubex). I personally love Turman pellets, but they are not available many places.

So very true! However there are trends. As J-takeman has said over and over, try a few, see how YOU like them. Everyone's stove and nose seems to be a little different.
I do like reviews with price, performance and delivery charges.

My Baby Looooved Okanagans. They burned hot and clean. My second choice is the Cubex. I'm burning them now. Low ask and very clean. This years batch is very hot. On setting #4, I'm getting 320 degree air out of the heat exchanger...and that hot!

I burned 20 bags of Maines Choice. Hot but very ashy. My burn pot needed to be emptied daily. But, for $3.18 a bag, they are a good shoulder pellet.

Last year, I tried the Inferno form HD. On low, the fire actually went out! Never buy them again..

Chan

Red fir pellets if you can find them. Atlas, now out-of-business, is a good example of a red fir pellet. While it would be nice to buy these pellets all the time for a good price, the reality is I know I will probably not be able to find these for sale in my area again. Therefore, as the others have stated, try a few bags of each brand of pellet available in your area and let your stove tell you what it likes.

Buy what u can afford and burns good for your stove, every pellet burns differnt..

I love okies but Cubex seems to be the best for me, they just look good, smell good great strong bag and lots of heat.

My favorite has got to be the Greene Team, from Lowe's.
They burn hot and clean, but they are getting harder to find.
My 2nd choice is the Fireside Ultra from HD.

chris288 said:
Buy a Harman and put in whaterver is the cheapest ! Actually the best premimum pellets I have ever used are Dry Creek, but I'd rather put in stove chow for 189.00/ton than Dry Creek for 275.00/ton.

I never thought I would agree with a statement like this but I do. A Harman stove is extremely forgiving and will actually adjust to the quality, or lack thereof, of the pellet you are burning.

ive been having good luck with somersets and lignetics,have burned a bunch of somersets and found that they burn very hot. have burned a couple bags of lignetics also and im a fan of both.

but im just a firestarter so what do i know! lol im just joking around now! either way i love my stove so thats all that matters,im sure the more pellets i burn my preferance may change but for now i got a ton of somersets and im gonna burn em up!

Status
Not open for further replies.