1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best Pellets On The West Coast?

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by 7521, Mar 15, 2013.

1. 7521

7521 New Member

Loc:
    California sierras
    Great forum but It doesn't look like theres a lot of info regarding the west coast. Any thoughts on which are the best pellets available in California?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. steamguy

steamguy Member

Loc:
    In the windy Columbia Gorge, WA
    Don't know if they're available in your area, but I've had the most consistent luck with Golden Fire. Bear Mountain is a fair brand, but tend to be more sooty and have more ash content. The Bear Mountain will also tend to have a lot more fines in the bag than others.
  3. RK_MacKendrick

RK_MacKendrick Member

Loc:
    NW CA
    I live in NW CA, we have burnt a ton and a half of Cleanburn Doug Fir pellets. They are made in Tacoma, WA and are $290 a ton delivered.
    They burn hot, not much ash and have been very consistent.
  4. flynfrfun

flynfrfun Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I have had great luck with Bear Mtn, North Idaho Energy, Cleanburn, Pacific Pellets and Blazers. It's hard to say which is best as they are all mostly Doug Fir. My favorites right now are Cleanburn for price vs heat output and least ash. Bear Mtns were the best I tried, but they want $300 ton vs about $200 for the Cleanburns. This year, Cleanburn cut down the length of the pellets so now they burn pretty close to as hot as the Bear Mtns. North Idaho Energy are great, but also pricey like the Bear Mtn. Pacific Pellets have been good heat output and low ash, but slightly inconsistent in pellet length so one bag will burn super hot and other not as hot. Makes you wonder if something is wrong with the stove at times. The Blazers are the ashiest of all the above, but still put out great heat for typically $200/ton around here. My favorites are in the following order:

Not taking price into consideration:
    Bear Mtn
    Clean Burn
    North Idaho Energy
    Pacific Pellet
    Blazers

Taking price into consideration:
    Cleanburn
    Blazers
    Pacific Pellet
    Bear Mtn
    North Idaho Energy

You absolutely can not go wrong with any of these brands.
    stayfitz and jtakeman like this.
  5. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    The pellets I used exclusively this season were Natural Glow Premium +. 100% Doug Fir pellet from Blue Mt Wood Products. Great pellet for $220/ton.
  6. Kherr

Kherr New Member

Loc:
    Nampa, Idaho
    Great pellet, I agree. I have also burned Bear Mountain, and American Eagle wood pellets out of Caldwell, ID. Quite a bit of ash in AE pellets but for $200 a ton, I can deal with some ash.
  7. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    The Great Pacific North Wet
    Huge Bear Mountain fan here. Pacific pellets and Northern Idaho Energy Logs work great also.
  8. DirtyDave

DirtyDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western wa
    Flynfrfun you havent tried the cascades I take it then. they make 4 times more ash than the blazers or cleanburns, and less heat for the 189/210 price range.

My first choice is the blazers,then cleanburns. I just dont see the need to pay the overpriced bearmnts or lignets. 225 a ton is max for me... just my preferneces is all.
  9. flynfrfun

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I haven't seen any Cascades around me. But, it sounds like I'm not missing anything. I'm with you, the Bear Mtns are great, but the extra 15% heat output is not worth $100/ton more price tag. Besides now that I'm a little more savvy, I realize they just cut their pellets shorter and smaller dia. to get more feed per revolution of the auger. So really, you are not getting more BTU's since it burns hotter, but also uses up the fuel faster. So, now I realize there is nothing magical about their pellets, other than the size. I wasn't much of a fan of Cleanburn because my first ones from 2 yrs ago were longer and maybe bigger dia. and would not burn as hot as the Bear Mtn. Now this year, I notice they cut them shorter and while I haven't compared them again to Bear Mtn, they are burning as hot as the Bear Mtn according to my stove thermometer.

I got lucky and found out about an Arrow Lumber special last fall and got 2 tons of Cleanburns for $175 ea.

I did try some Presto-Logs or something like that from Lowes, but felt they were more ashy and less heat than the Blazers, so I didn't mention them in my comparison.
  10. stayfitz

stayfitz Member

Loc:
    Reno, NV
    Unfortunately, I can't find CleanBurn in my area. I contacted the company, they referenced a dealer 290+ miles away. Plus, Blue Mountain and Pacific Pellets are not available here either. My first choice is Golden Fire, followed by North Idaho Energy. I burned 4.5 tons of Blazers last year. They produced a fair amount of heat, moderate amounts of ash, but high rate of clinkers. The price last year was too good per ton ($214 vs. $299 Golden Fire).
  11. flynfrfun

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    So I got lucky and got 2 tons of Bear Mtns this year for $235/ton. Cheapest I've seen the Bear Mtns in my neck of the woods, so I went for it even though I could have saved money buying Cleanburns. I still have a ton of last year's Cleanburn to compare to. I will let you all know what I think once I get burning in a month or so...
    stayfitz likes this.
  12. stayfitz

stayfitz Member

Loc:
    Reno, NV
    That's a great price for Bear Mtns! Keep me posted on your findings. Thank you
  13. flynfrfun

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Will do...