Best place to buy a Harman XXV in central MA??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mufflerguy

Sep 6, 2010
USA
Hi, I am new to the whole pellet stove concept, & need supplemental heat for my large sunroom.
I have done alot of research & have decided on the Harman XXV, mainly because of the look ( I am getting one in the ceramic brown enamel), the fully automatic operation, & the low noise level.
I guess I have 2 options on where to purchase( Worcester area):
Squier Lumber-

3900 Harman XXV in brown enamel
270 hearth pad
600-800 for full install w/piping
90 delivery charge
free 3.9 ton pellets Okies with stove purchase
total is around $5000 plus tax

Higgins energy ( havent spoken with them yet, but I have read that people werent very happy at all with service or install.)

Is this quote too high?
Any suggestions/comments / advice would be great!
Thanks, Matt

price sounds alright specially wit 4 tons of pellets.
make sure yer comfy with the dealer too.

Does the $90 delivery charge cover everything, including the pellets?

If so, thats a pretty good deal.....4 tons of okies normally run around $1000+, not including delivery.

Yes, the $90 includes the price of delivery on eveything, including pellets, I believe.
Can you work the dealer down on the price of the stove alone, or does eveyone pretty much stick with the MSRP?

I know I sound like a broken record but looks are the worst reason to buy a stove... dealer service should be the #1 concern in your mind.

Stove dealers aren't like auto dealers... if you have a bad experience with a particular auto dealer you can still get your warranty work done at another location. Not so with pellet stoves... your dealer is the ONLY one who will have a reason to service what they sell... the dealers on this site can explain why better than I. What I'm saying is you will be MARRIED to the dealer for as long as your stove is under warranty. these things DO need service... a pellet stove is NOT a 'set it and forget it deal'... I'd buy an ugly stove in a heartbeat if the difference between a pretty stove and the ugly one was good service.

I don't know the dealer you are thinking about buying from... the deal sounds pretty good. But ask him how many full time techs he has... and how many stoves he sells per year. Are his techs factory trained? Do they offer after-hours service? What is their service call price? Some dealers charge for a service call even if the repair is under warranty. How long to get service after you call... a week?... ten days?.... these waits are not unusual. Do they stock repair parts? Many do not...

Good luck...

do you try heartline stove shop in Jaffery NH I think they have Harmen. That's where I bought my PE T5. You will pay sales tax if it's delivered I think.

I am a bit far from you to recommend a local stove shop, but as the others have mentioned
any service needed after the sale should be a important factor in your decision.
The mfr does not deal directly with the consumer so you are at the mercy of that dealer
should something go wrong.

Keep us posted and be sure to post pics.

If you have a better dealer that sells Enviro or St. Croix for instance you may have a better experience from them. It's definately a good idea to research the dealer and see how knowledgeable they are of the unit you are wanting.

AR

ARGlock said:
If you have a better dealer that sells Enviro or St. Croix for instance you may have a better experience from them. It's definately a good idea to research the dealer and see how knowledgeable they are of the unit you are wanting.

AR
Spurias in ashburnham ma sells enviro and st croix very good service.

Well let me ask this then,
DOes anybody have any experience with Squiers Lumber?
I have read on this forum & in other places that Higgins is not very customer friendly...
Thanks for all the help people.
Matt

hm..after hours service? I dont know of any companies in this area who offer that in pellet stoves. It brings up an interesting point though....what would an 'after hours" service outfit be able to get for a service charge?

I guess I'd turn on my other heat source before I'd pay after hours call.
then again I don't think I'd make a service call anyway.

Lousyweather said:
hm..after hours service? I dont know of any companies in this area who offer that in pellet stoves. It brings up an interesting point though....what would an 'after hours" service outfit be able to get for a service charge?

I offer services 24 Hrs at my regular rate for existing customers, $250 service call for non-existing :cheese:

That's all I'll say about that.

mufflerguy said:
Well let me ask this then,
DOes anybody have any experience with Squiers Lumber?
I have read on this forum & in other places that Higgins is not very customer friendly...
Thanks for all the help people.
Matt

Squier's Lumber is a local family owned business.
They have been in business for many years.
I have ordered pellets from them the last 2 seasons.
This season they just delivered Okies ( $932.00 for 3.9 tons - my stove just loves these pellets ).
I squirmed at the $65.00 delivery charge ( I live about 5 miles from the place) but they are friendly and knowledgeable on phone as well as accommodating upon delivery.
Wish I could offer my opinion as regards your stove. I was considering the the same stove you are as well as the P61A from Squier Lumber but at the time price was a factor for me. I went with another brand from another dealer but I would not of been afraid to purchase from Squier's Lumber. They are always available by phone which turned out not to be the case from the dealer I did buy my stove from.
The price you are quoting seems like a pretty good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.