Best place to purchase an expansion tank.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
Can anyone give me a lead on the best place to purchase an expansion tank for pressurized storage? I have been watching ebay and craigslist but have not found anything. I will need approx. a 120 gallon expansion tank. I do have a F.W. Webb in town but they are quite expensive. Thanks!

Tough to find one if you're looking for new.

Just curious here, I am putting in 500 gallons of storage and my calculations show me I need a tank with 44 gallons of acceptance volume ( that's for a bladder type tank ). I am just wondering if I miscalculated the size I needed for my system. How did you arrive at that 120 gallon size?

I picked up two 60 gallon tanks from Dave at Cozy Heat. They are not cheap....not even a little.

I AM USING AN OLD 40 GAL HOT WATER TANK PRE PRESSURED AT 15 LB WITH TWO #30 AMTROL BLADDER TYPE EXP TANKS. I HAVE 1000 GAL STORAGE. BOILER PRESSURE AT HIGH TEMP RUNS ABOUT 25 LB. MY RELIEF HAS NOT DRIPPED AT ALL. WORKS FOR ME.

for 750 gal storage the 86 gal expansion tank sold by pex supply for $489 looks like your best bet. I think my ~1100 gal or so setup will work with one of those and their 32 gal for $214. Seem like the were about $20 cheaper a couple weeks ago. $700 is much more than I wanted to spend. The 20 gal was $99 now it looks like it is $109. May look at the other homemade bladderless options some have been using here and have had good luck with.

I am also using an old 40 or 50 gallon well tank. I didnt precharge the tank. I have 500 gallons of storage. It was at 8psi@ 60 degrees at 200 it tops out at about 26psi

Sparke where abouts are you in Maine? I have accounts at Webb, Redlons, and Granite Group. I live in Minot and work in South Portland. I can get you some pricing, Let me know!

Morgan said:
If you tank is mounted high in your system, than so should your pump, as you should always pump away from your expansion tank.

You can still pump away from the tank by having the expansion tank tied in near the intake side of the pump, the pump works better at higher pressure, fewer problems with air or cavitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.