Best position for a box fan??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
i have a freestanding wood burner in the basement. my brother, mom and i always argue about where it is best to place it. i just moved it so it is blower at angle back behind the stove "ricacheing" off the wall and then towards the stairs. what do you find best?

this is my basement lay out

^basement door <25> wood stove> <3ft> wall> <stairs

open area besides a few boxes we're sorting

<bottom of basement stairs

i know its confusing but hopefully you can figure it out. would an iscolating fan work better???

thanks for any advise

ccb

If you are blowing the air onto the wall, then the wall will steal most of the heat.

If you are trying to get heat upstairs, try putting the box fan at the top of the stairs pointing and blowing towards the stove. Set it to low speed. The goal is to get the colder air moving towards the source of heat.

Since it is a box fan, place it so the air is blowing parrallel to the front of the stove(warmest part except for the top). Don't position it so it is blowing directly against the stove. If this will blow it towards the stairwell even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.