1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best Protection for Little Ones?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mike592, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Coog

Coog Member

Loc:
    North West Illinois
    Yes, the sharp edges are a greater concern for me than the hot surface. Watch the little ones slam their heads on one of those sharp edges, big ouchy.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DuckDog

DuckDog Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    We have a "Superyard" as linked above by DJB. We have a small house and the woodstove is in the living room where our young lad plays. Not fair to have him get burnt chasing after a toy or something. He knows "hot". But he's also only 2.5 years old. We still need to take care of due dilligence for him a little. Hope to remove the gate after this upcoming burn season.
  3. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Kidco gate here....I didn't install it due to the fact I can't teach my kids what "hot" was. My stove is in a small family room which is basically the kids playroom so this keeps the toys from coming in contact with the stove. It's saved me headaches of cleaning burned up/stuck on pieces of toys many times. ;lol We also entertain friends with young children who may not understand the stove is "hot" and I don't want to feel bad if one of their kids gets burned up.

It also makes a good drying rack for wet clothes in the winter.

Attached Files:

4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    This was the method I used to teach both my kids. The boy was getting the idea but decided to dunk his hand in a pot of water at a rolling boil, things went much better with the baby when I was using the same method. ;lol