Best Quality Pellets...Corn????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydawg22

Nov 8, 2007
Northwest
Here's a question for all of you experienced Pellet Stove owners. I live in Washington State. I've noticed a big difference in the quality of the pellets I'm buying. Can anyone tell me from their experience what are the best quality pellets. More specifically is it also a regional thing? Which it probably is but I want to find the best in my State or region. I know I've tried about 4 different brands so far and Firemaster are the worst! Lots of sawdust in the bottom and have found quite a number of bags with water damaged pellets. Northwest Pride has been good so far. Any info would be apprecitated. Also price where can a guy get the best prices around here. It's pretty consistently 189 a ton for just about all of the pellets I've looked at. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

Keep an eye on Sams Club or whatever bigbox sells them cheap. Don't waste your time with corn now as its way too expensive to be worth serious consideration unless you live in the corn belt. Don't be afraid to experiment with different draft settings to get the better burn either. If you don't like big ash piles then you won't like corn as it is really nasty compared to pellets. This stuff aint rocket science but its is a fair bit of experimentation and the like. You can get deals on pellets IN Season but they are rare for the most part so if you find a good deal jump on it right now. They should be able to do this for you . Otherwise try making your purchase off season in April to buy up leftover stock if you have a dry place to store them that doesn't get overly humid. You shouldn't be getting wet and breaking down pellets unless its at a serious discount from any seller either.

Status
Not open for further replies.